Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Laptop for Pro/E Wildfire 2.0

kponpand

Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop and load Pro/E Wildfire 2.0 in it. I have a sony and a HP in mind. I have given a link to the specs. All the requirement seems to be fine except the graphics card. Can Anyone please let me know whether this Laptops will work well with Pro/E 2.0.

For Sony

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002XUXBQ/ref =pc_de_a_smtd/002-0943052-9529611?v=glance&s=pc&vi=t ech-data[/url]

For HP

[url]http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/126782/rpem/ccd/productD etailSpecification.do#tabs[/url]

The Graphics Card used in HP is Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - Pentium .

I have seen that exact HP model run UG NX3 without any problems. I have a Dell 8600 with the stock graphics card and it as well runs UG NX3 without even a little gliche. My only problem came into play when I tried to create a complicated feature such as a thread. This required a small amount of load time which was a little annoying. I had to turn off the thread to speed it back up. So I would suggest upgrading the RAM to handle these features more efficiently! Sorry I wasn't any help with the Sony but I haven't seen that run any CAD program before.

Hope this helps,

Jon

It all depends on the amount of pain you can tolerate. UG and Pro
may run on the laptops you specificed but don't expect any speed out of
them. Also if you deal with anything other than simple blocks and
sticks you are going to be kicking yourself for not spending another
$400-$500 and getting a laptop with a real graphics card it in.
In my opinion any machine running Pro/e should have at least 128 MB
dedicated to video (not a shared on board video card).

If you are really serious about running ProE on your laptop and you need decent performance, I agree totally with Allen. You will be kicking yourself if you don't go for a proper "supported or certified" graphics card in your laptop. Look for a laptop with either an ATI Firegl or Nvidia Quadro card. The models differ, but Dell, HP, Alienware and IBMall have one or both offered. The Dell precision is a solid choice. You can even pick up a used Precision M50 for $800-$1000. Another suggestion is one I've been looking at from Hypersonic. I don't have much information but their product looks interesting.

[url]http://secure.hypersonic-pc.com/scripts/custom_sys.asp?sysid =Fusion_MX7[/url]

They offer the Nvidia Quadro FX GO 1400, a pci express card with some good qualities.

Any laptop graphics card without "hardware overlay planes" will give you trouble if you want to open more than a few ProE windows. Repainting the screen becomes a painful thing to watch!

We had Sony's with an ATI Mobility 9000 and we cooked the graphics cards in under a year running Wildfire.

Now we got Dell Precision M70's and they run great. My recommendation like everyone else's is to spend a little more and get a laptop with a certified card.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back