Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dimension names

phoxeoy

We have a bunch of UDFs that we use on a daily bases. of course every dimension has a name ID, (d23, etc...), but in our case each dimension has a identifier at the end of the dimension name. Example: d23(offset) or d34(angle). This was setup this way so that the dimension would be identified in other software that is used to translate the model. The problem that I have is if I click on the UDF feature and click on Redefine those identifier names go away and now the translator software does not see the dimensions.

Example:

d23(offset)

d24(angle)

after Redefine:

d23

d24

Is there a way to put back the post name, (offset), into the dimesion name? when I try to add it back to the name it just gives me an error saying can't do it.

The parentheses () are illegal in a dimension symbolic name, at least in WF2. I don't know how you got them in there before, maybe an earlier version of Pro/E allowed them.

I believe that the dimensions have a name assign to it ,like offset, and when you use the first UDF feature I'll get something like offset(offset). If I use the same UDF again the dimension becomes for example d23(offset). I know why this happens is because you can't have same name dimensions so Pro/E assigns new dimension names but the (offset) is still there unless I redefine the UDF. The (offset) I'm guessing is really not apart of the dimension name but assigned to it some how, if that makes any sense. I know it sounds like I'm trying to chop down a metal tree with a wooden stick but I was hoping I could fine a way to reassign these identifiers for the ease of redefining. As it stands I can't redefine about 60 to 90 percent of my models. This is a hug pain.

Can you select your original dimension and then do Edit/Replace? It might let you keep the same name. It is not very user friendly however as the dimension has to be the same type (you can't replace a diameter with a radius or an angle with a length).

I don't use UDF's very much, can you redefine the UDF's with the new scheme rather than changing the feature in the part?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back