Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STEP files too big to handle

sdunk23

I want to import a STEP file that weighs in at 168MB. If I try to import it as a piece or assembly the program crashes, telling me to free up more memory ("out of memory. Please free some memory, then choose retry"). I have 2GB of Ram and no other programs running. Unfortunately I am using a very old version of ProE (2000i) and i'm wondering if that's the problem.

Can you advise me on what to do? How can I free up more memory, or allow ProE to open the file with minimum settings (lines and curves only for example)? I've tried using the command line options ("intf_in_layer_asm_dialogs") to allow me to choose what I import, but the program crashes before I get there.

Hello,

I have faced that problem too. ProE crashes evenI wantto create a STEP file for a very simple assembly (just 20 parts). I saw it crashes if some parts were frozen. On the other hand it can notimport large files, the same problem of memory. The only solution I have found was to split the large assembly. The one who needed the STEP files reassembled the smaller files. I have seen ifI open a STEP file all the connections/constraints between the parts are lost . It's a good practice to open the step file in a new folder because it recreates the parts with altered file names.

Adrian

What does your task manager read before it crashes.

If it goes over 1.7 gbs you might have to set the 3 gb switch in the boot.ini file.

CPU read 100%, RAM went down to 658Mb free (from 1.6GB) and the file meter showed 1.31Gb. My colleague who also has ProE, has 3Gb of RAM, but hers too crashed with the same error...

We have already asked our client to simplify the assembly, to break itdown into smaller sub assemblies, or more simply just do it in IGES format, which only creates surfaces, so is easier to handle.

Just remember with iges 95% your going to have to deal with cleaning up the iges files to solidify them.

If the breaking down doesn't work have them try a different format like parasolid or acis.

That's true, but we're not worried about that. We'll use the clients model to validate our designs, but we do not plan to use their models for any other purpose.

We're not worried about interference issues, as they will be evident to see through the 3D assembly. The most important issue is opening their files so we can understand their design, and create our designs around it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back