Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

setting working directory

puppet

when ever i goto set my current working directory the listing that
shows up as i goto the working directory that i want isnt in any order.
would be nice if i could sort directories by name.

is this possible?if so how?

using windows XP, service pack 2,

when that screen comes up for me, all the directories appear to be in random order.

if i view it with explorer i can set it to autoarrange on name.

would be nice to have it in alphabetical order a-b-c-d-e-f-g etc.

I don't use pro/e anymore (omit long, sad story)... but I think it is a generic windows widget, which means you can manipulate it. If it is a PTC widget, you may well be out of luck (so much for that worthless windows certification, eh?)

Anyway;

1) The pulldown menu icon (second from right at the top) will let you chose detailed view instead of list. You can go to the name column, date column, whatever and click to sort ascending, descending.

or...

2) Just right-click in the main window of the dialog (the whitespace). You will have the option to arrange the icons by any of the common fields.

Now, I've already made the disclaimer that I can't test this... that's your job.

If it does work, I have NO IDEA how to make a configuration (say list view, arranged by name) the default. It MIGHT be an explorer option (i.e. set it up the way you like and use "use this for all folders" or some such).

Hope this helps

Paul

It sounds like it might be listing files in date order but I have no
idea how you got WF2 to do that as list and details should be the only
two options.

Something to remember is that Pro/E lists upper case folder names before lower case ie. Z comes before a

DB

Sometimes programs behave bad under Windows. They look at the way Windows is set and adjust accordingly. One big caveat is Explorer. It has a general setting in the registry, but this one can be overruled on a by-folder base. If you have Explorer set to remember folder settings but behind the scene its standard is set to "date" then you can get problems with file dialogs, when programs first look at the registry setting before displaying info. Have had this before with other programs. You may never notice it when each folder displays alfabetical because it is set so individually.

Try this :

Go to File Explorer. Display any folder. Set this folder to sort by name, a to z, and list details. Then go to 'Tools', 'Folder Options' and choose 'Display all folders like current'. Close and restart the File Explorer to check that the settings are written to the registry. Now restart ProE. If "sticky" folder settings were causing trouble they should be solved.

Alex
Edited by: AHA-D

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back