Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

challenge

Can't make that in sheetmetal without using a 'twist' in between the bends...

View attachment 959

...Reason is that the second bend would be trying to bend across the thickness of the material... What would the part look like if you decreased the thickness of the material such that the cross section was no longer square (say a 10-to-1 ratio instead) ?
Edited by: Brian_Adkins

I WAS HOPING TO DO IT IN SHEET METAL TO GET THE FLATTENED LENGTH OF THE PART

SUCH A SIMPLE LOOKING PART BUT IS GIVING ME FITS FINDING THE THE LENGTH

Do you need to account for stretch? If so, then sheetmetal is your only hope... If not, then you could do this put a datum curve along the centerline of the part and then create an analysis feature to track the length of that datum curve.

yes the stretch is critical i know its like 44% from the inside edge but cant believe pro-e is unable to do this.

Sorry for late reply ... You can use Pro/Piping for that ...At least,you can try ...

Create linestock and choose square section ...Specify radius and run the pipe ... Then choose Info-Pipeline length ... Doesn't matter in this case Centerline or Pre/Cut ... If you aren't satisfited with the result there is an option in piping to use bend tables based on the same functionality as sheetmetal,you can define bend tables for pipes and use them to get a flat state(I mean length) ...

Hope it helps ... Alex

split in 2 parts and get the stretch for each part... not an elegant solution but works if what you need is the developed shape..

Charles

Brian_Adkins said:
Can't make that in sheetmetal without using a 'twist' in between the bends...

Sorry Brian but you can. Use the planar bend function to do it

View attachment 1122

DB

P.S. Couldn't upload the image correctly using Firefox so had to revert to IE6.Jeez I hate that

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Good one, Dell boy.I've skipped past that section of the manual for years without ever considering it... From the description, looks like it accounts for stretch also, unless you need to use a bend table.

Here's some info for others reading this thread:
[url]http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/2001/html/usascii/proe/sheetmet/p lanar_b.htm[/url]

I did some experimenting with Y & K factors and everything seemed to check out fine in 2001, but that was a couple of years ago and I can't remember the build codes... I guess it's possible things could have changed.

Here's a really old posting I put up on the subject:
http://www.eern.com/proe/tips/bendtables.htm

Also, MetalForming.com used to have a nice 'Forums' area but I just checked and they've shut it down due to "user policy violations". Luckily, I burned a PDF of a good thread where K & Y were discussed ad-nauseum:
2005-08-05_214629_bend_allowance.zip

Maybe someone can use it.

-Brian

If you are doing centreline bending you can also find the developed length by dividing the volume by the cross sectional area

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back