Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Exporting surfaces to 3D Studio Max

flapjack

Hello, I am trying to export a bicycle saddle model from Wildfire 2.0 to 3D studio max 6. It appears in wildfire as an import fearture and has been created using surfaces and then thickened. When i try to save a copy to export i am not offered the option to save as an stl which has worked for my solid parts. I have tried to save as a wavefront obj file but i can't save anything, Wildfire says

No uv-map defined; previous selections will be ignored.
No part selected.

even when i try and select the saddle. All of the igs files i have tried to save come into 3ds with surfaces all over the place and look a bit of a mess. I really need help! Thankyou very much for any help you can give

Jack

you say it's an imported model..I'd bet its actually surface (i.e. hollow) .. see if you can cut it using a simple extrude..

anyway if it's just a thickened surface simpley thicken the original surface again.. if not, so a search for reparing imported data.. can be a bit tricky..

Flapjack,

What color does the imported geometry show up in. If it's purple with yellow edges then you're going to have to knit up the surfaces to get it to be all purple.

When that is done select on the surface and select Edit Solidify (in Wildfire) or Feature, Create, Protrusion, Use Quilt (in 2001).

If the part comes in white or any other color chances are it's solidified.

Try to make a datum through the coordinate system that will go intersect the part and do a crossection using that datum, if a crossection is created the part is solid if it doesn't it is surfaces.

Brian

It doesn't show up as a load of surfaces. You can download the model from this site if you go to Files and type saddle into the search bar. This might make it easier for you experienced guys rather than me explaining it. All i need to do is place some planes, add a couple of protrusions and export to 3ds max 6. I hope this is ok, thankyou for any help you can offer

Jack

I took a quick look at the file and it needs to be solidified to make it an stl file.

The surfaces need to be cleaned up

When you exporting obj file form ProE you must first select coordinating sys and than partyou want to select - Yourselected coordinating sys will be centre of your model, and "mapping coordinates" - If you have some colour in yourpart - for surfaces, features, you will get them in Max or Maya - When you exporting surfaces you must make them solid (give them thickness) or solidify them - That

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back