Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

green & white surface

mechi

HI,

Can anybody tell me the difference between green and white surface in pro/e.
smiley18.gif

Many sheetmetal materials, likestainless steel, have a finish side or have a protective plastic coating on one side to protect the metal from scratches if needed. The green represents the finish side. For us it also represents the side to be facing up while the part is being cut or punched. There's nothing to force this rule but if you are just starting out in sheetmetal, I would recommend consistency. It also help to have it 2 different colors so when a part is flipped around you know which side is which. This is what I know or at least THINK I know about the subject.

I'm not really hip to the the sheet metal environment but thought the green surf was the defined driving surf (?).

green surface is the one which get selected when you go for operations such as punch,cut etc. its the surface which the system takes as the reference for that operations , if iam not wrong.

Proe create white surface (to indicates smt thickness) by offsetting it from green surface by the amount of the material thickness. Differentiate between green and white just only for ease of view and orientation.

A driving surface is of real use, it's not only cosmetic. When you create a flange of 20 mm, starting from the driving surface, it will be 20 when you add 1 mm to material thickness. This way you can get a more robust model that behaves to design intent.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back