Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

help in modeling a part

sabotage

I am trying to model the casing for this cordless screwdriver but am pretty stumped as to the best way to do it. My first thought was to use protrustion to protrude a cylinder and add/cut parts, but that proved to be almost impossible. I then thought of using parallel blends, but i ran into trouble using blind vertices. How does Pro/E know which vertices to use blind vertices with? is it based on order/position? If anyone has a better solution for modeling the casing i would love to hear it.

This might be a more basic question than most, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

u can do it with normal solid modelling, but keep inmind that you will
need extra construction geometry. ie extra datum planes all over the
place.

Yeah, good old solid modeling will work, although it will get a little tricky around the battery area at the bottom. It looks like a major project. I'd try share the workload with your study group.

Try to use variable section sweep it needs four curves which define outside of the a solid and a crosssection. When x-section moves along the curve its shape is controlled by the four curves.
Edited by: patelsujan

Maybe that will work for a school project but I would be concerned about C2 continuity between surfaces. I don't know what they're using down at B & D but I'm sure they wouldn't send any files to a mold maker if they were just full of protrusions & rounds. Even with VSS in your toolbox, your going to have some problems forming that shape at the bottom. Hopefully sombody can prove me wrong but I have my doubts.

That's a pretty ambitious model for what it sounds like your experience level is? (It would be a pretty ambitious undertaking for me.
smiley1.gif
)

I don't know if the attached (WF2, no ISDX) will be of any help. Your biggest problem is probably going to be recognizing and defining discrete "features", whether you use solid booleans or surfaces to get there. My preference is to keep the individual features simple. Good luck with it.

2005-05-02_030419_prt0001.prt.zip

View attachment 880

Nice work, Jeff. I guess the key is to make sure all those surfaces have tangent constraints. Although, if this is keeping it simple, I surely don't want to know the complicated way. I'll take ISDX anyday over all thatboundary quilt-work.

thanks for all the help! ISDX looks like the way to go, but since i cant get my hands on it, ill have to use solid modeling.

any tips on how i should go about it? i mentioned parallel blends before, but im not sure if thats the best idea. i also saw a style option, would that be a viable option?

if it helps any i have to model the parts of the casing separately, ie each half, assemble it, and then put it in mechanism and move it.

Style is ISDX and its the best viable option so learn it. If you're using the Student Edition, I believe it should be included.

do you know of any guides to using isdx? the help files only give a very basic overview, and i think i will need a little more guidance than they can give me.

You've come to the right place, grasshopper: STYLE

Besure topost your model periodically to so the experts who use this website can offer advice and tips. And remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one breath.

dong all this in Style was a great idea. it took me awhile to understand how it worked but once it did its much easier.

what my basic plan is to make various datum planes/datum points and just connect them into a single surface, and then afterwards make surface tangent connections where applicable, after that i accept it and thicken it, and that would be it. it sounds alot easier than it must be though, but thast my general plan. any advice or tips? ill post up what i have made as it gets made. thanks again for all the help

you should look at "Trace Sketch" within style.. you can apply your picture right on to a plane and and use it as a guide for your curves!

you can find out about it in the help section..

James

the help file says 'trace sketch' can be used with sketches, however it can only select picture files. any way i can use an actual sketch?

are you asking is it possible to use an actual sketch (ProE sketch) as one of, or indeed part of one of, your bounding curves in isdx?

And possibly this sketch is a saved sketch or a sketch in another model?

simply edit the sketch you want to uses, and use the file save as to save it. make sure you have no loose dimensions (is they are all strong Yellow dims) first.

then in your new model, do the normal,create a sketch, and use the sketch/data from file option from the pull down menu and browse to where you have your sketch saved, you can then scale the sketch and position it.

if you were asking about using the sketch curve as a bounding or reference sketch in ISDX, well you just treat it as a curve created in ISDX, essentially there is no difference, you just have to modify it outside of ISDX..

does this make sence?

James

it makes sense, but could you elaborate as to the steps i need to take in order for that to happen? because i created a separate Pro/E sketch, saved it, and then in my new part model, i went insert>style>trace sketch. then a window appears with front/top/right planes as options, i click on one and the subsequent window that appears asks me to select a file to put on the datum planes. however the only file choices are image files. i dont know, i think i must be missing something.

edit: are you referring to the sketched datum curve tool?
Edited by: sabotage

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back