Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

There, I’ve said it!..now I have to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I aint done no tutorials; but I could contribute some interesting animations. Puppet just did a pretty compact intro to User Defined Analysis that he might let you use.

Anyway, the concept sounds really constructive. Go for it.

Guy

Love to see the animations! cheers!

you don't need to submit a tutorial if you don;t want to.. how about a couple of tips? take the same amount of time as it took to reply the last time? :)

Cheers, now let's get this thing going!

James
smiley4.gif

Edited by: james.lynch

Hey sure, i'd love to help. kinda sound's like your making a webpage to
rival this one. which would seem like an awefull amount of work
considering how amazing this place really is.

I wrote a tutorial for bottle volume optimization. i tried to get it
put here in the articals section but the submit button was broken, and
the report a bug button was also broken :p

feel free to use it.

its in the "Bottle Volume Optimization" thread. 3 Rar files.

let me know otherwise i can email it to you, or anyone.

oh indeed no! in fact my next step is to mail the nice moderator here and ask if I can link directly here to have the use of this fantastic resource &forum, not sure if the web page will be accessed by registered (free of charge of course) or not but may look into a dual automatic membership or something along those lines (if that's even possible?? )

this place is great don't get me wrong! it a life saver! and the community spirit here would be impossible to match.. so why would anyone even try!! but what I'd like to do is essentially take all the good advice on this forum and everywhere else and put in in some kind of structured, progressive (& also Free)location but withthetwist of aiming toward the SE an Personal Learning Edition! .. how many upload files here (or anywhere else for that matter?) are for those versions? not many I'd guess! (from the ones I've checked anyway!)

Any suggestions on anything I'm proposing (stress the proposing - never even entered my mind to think that it would be a rival to this site, if it offends anybody I will of course remove the post!)

it would also help with people asking she same question over and over again too..

Puppet, thank for the tutorial (the first one! of many I hope!
smiley17.gif
)

Thanks guys,

James

Puppet

I'm not sure how much James' initiative wold overlap with the present forum. As I understood his pitch, it sounded that this would be more like a concentrated collection of tutorials, examples and learning tools that would be more oriented towards students and new users.

If I got the gist right, this resource would be a complement to Mcad central which could be easily accessed from it, whenever someone needed a good collection of resources.

Guy

James

There is a 500k limitation on posts in this forum, so an mpeg animation can be sent after it has been split and zipped or rared; but that is pretty cumbersome for an actual model. So can the stuff be sent to you more directly?

Guy

Lynch

If I remember well, you did a mind boggling ProE animation of the Bismark under attack by twin boom fighters. I never did get to ask you how you rendered the sea, clouds and mist. Was that all ProE?

The model itself knocked my socks off even worse. What a detailed job. Could you post some pics on this forum so that these guys get an idea of what kind of a nut they are dealing with. Should at least still any talk of overly ambitious project or excessive workload.

BTW. As I understand the sequence of events, the P38 lightning entered the ETO after the Bismark had met its fate. It was a small flight of puny Fairey Swordfish torpedo bombers that eventually crippled the rudder and set her up for the kill. Fantastic animation nevertheless.

Pommares, well spotted!
smiley36.gif
.. we were under a bit of a time constraint (having never done ProE before we had just 8 weeks to complete the project) so the only fighters withenoughinformation we could get our hands on wasthat one! bummer I know!

View attachment 778

View attachment 779

View attachment 780

View attachment 781

All geometry was modeled in ProE, and since that was teh first model I ever did in ProE, well some ofthe modeling was questionable to say the least ( I wouldn'tt like to run model check on it
smiley36.gif
) but it wasn't bad for first attempt.. I have since re-done the hull using ISDX adn I must say it came out pretty nice. ( I can find it at the moment though.. i'm sure it on a disk somewhere..) so there are a couple of hundred parts in it, most of the guns have mechanism connections. I'd love to have time to redo it in proper detail.while the outside is modeled true to scale, there is very little detail inside.

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/ptcawards/entry.jsp?im_dbk ey=20348

I'll post a link to an animation a little later if I can find one.

and yes we did not have access to ARX so we used third party software to render it having outputted it as an .obj file.

James

Hi James

Try using your link. I keep getting an invalid or stale link message each time I attempt to access your animations. The message states that "yousendit.com" links are to be in the following format:

[url]http://www.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0123456789012345678901234 56789AB[/url]

Maybe the extra stuff at the end of your link is clogging up the works.

BTW I still have your Bismark under attack animation, if you can't find it. Do you want me to try to clip it and post it?

Guy

Advanced users please take notice.

James' link is a 43Meg download and absolutely mandatory. Now if anybody thinks that this is not really impressive please let me know; and I'll start looking for a new line of work.

However I do see three minor problems:

1. I wish there were a wake. Is there any way you can fudge it?

2. I think the projected shadows move with respect to the structure as it moves past the viewer. Doesn't feel like the sun is at infinity. Maybe I'm wrong. BTW How do you do projected shadows in an animation.

3. And, for your latest project, how the hell are we expected to decide which interesting tips and tricks we can contribute to a user who operates at that level.

Guy

wow, thanks!
smiley17.gif

1. I also wish there was a wake! would you believe it is incredably difficult to put it in in an animation, not so hard for a pict though...

2. again good catch on the shadows
smiley36.gif
.. yeahone of the ambientlight source had to be quite close and would you believe I forgot go switch off "cast shadows".. but we had a deadline and after taking 3 days to render (just for the scene, not the wholeanimation) I wasn't doing it again! should have paid more attention to the preview! woops!
smiley9.gif

3. truse me, it's very easy! simply click reply start typing!
smiley36.gif

as I said that model wascompletly cosmetic, true to scale and all, but completly cosmetic! everybodyhas a different way of approaching thingsand I KNOW my way isn't the best or most efficent! there are guys here who have been on ProE since R12, adn I have no industry experience! so believe me, you all have a lot to give! I'm only using Pro for the last 18 months and prety much self tought (from here!)

so please start replying! trust me, it will be worth it!

simple thing like config.pro options that you find handy, map keys that you use, anything that automates the procedure, simple beginner tips for modeling, drawing creation, structureal and thermal, anything! I'd realy like an Intralink or Windchill tutoial, I have never seen or used them, I here they are pretty good!

James

James,

Sounds a lot like a small business I'm familiar with called KinetiVision! I think tutotial videos for free is a good thing, even if it cuts into my bottom line! I hope you are ready for a lot of work in the editting and compressing area!!

I would be happy to let you link to all of my free tips and even let you browse through the 450 or so videos I already have and pick a few extras you think are useful. Good luck on your venture, let me know if you are interested.

www.kinetivision.com

Edited by: kvision

hmm Kvision presents a interesting point .

At what point does hosting costs? bandwidth and ofcourse your time?
costs etc all come into play to the point where you charge for
membership?

if i remember correctly this webpage wasnt free till this year ?

hehe

slightly off topic

anyway i wanne move to the usa :p anyone want to hire me?

anyone able to send me or tell me of urls of job search webpages popular in the usa?

[email protected]

Lynch

Yeah, you're right. Let's just do it. Get the ball rolling.
Where do you want your posts? How about right here, and then you can move
them over to whichever venue you deem appropriate.

One tip I would have beginners bear in mind is the following:
You can get confused when saving a part with the concept of cleaning up all
those previous instances of the same part. Big clutter in workspace if not.

Also, there is the notion of deleting from RAM the parts that are not in use
at present. So are we saving one or erasing many? To avoid confusion I create
a couple of mapkeys that do these tasks and associate some custom buttons to
trigger them (just edit the smiley).

Then I arrange these buttons on either side of the SAVE button on the toolbar.
As a result, whenever I save I just hit each of the three buttons in sequence
and it takes care of all that housekeeping without my having to think about it
or be afraid of accidentally erasing something important. Erase previous, SAVE,
clear RAM. No thought, no sweat.

Another thing I do at the start is select the working directory for the project
at hand and set the color options for the workspace.A couple of mapkeys triggered
by SD and SC respectively come in handy for these tasks.

Finally, in that same vein, measuring is something I do quite often; and it takes
rather too many steps to get to the point where you actually do the measuring. So I created a mapkey that gets me directly to where I just simply measure the distance.

I also associated an icon with that function and it is now a frequently used tool
on my toolbar. I kinda like how that mini measuring tapecame out and would like to send it over. Looks like a Stanley.How do you post a button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back