Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Data loss from Pro/E 2001 to Catia V4/5

kujur11a

Hi,

We are using Pro/E 2001 and our coustomer is having caitiaV4 and V5 both.We are facing problem in exporting the datas from Pro/E to Catia. We use *.model and *.igs both translators. But when they open our files, they find big data loss ( gaps between surfaces). What shall we do? Any suggetions welcome. It has become a big issue between us and them. We both have to spend time forhealing the geometry to do some other work.

kujur

I have never had a clean IGES transfer between Pro/E and Catia, any version, either direction. I recommend either STEP or the Pro-to-Cat direct conversion.

kujur,

Pro/E can convert the file directly to catia version, try to use it then try creating a new part thenimport the converted file just to check if there's still gaps. You can also do this, create a new file then import the iges file and seal the gaps then export again to iges, i've done this before and it works fine, hope it will help you.

Hi, Thanks for replying back. JAYUY, I was also doing the same thing toreduce the data loss during export but if the component is complex & very big it takes lot of time to rebuld it. Anyways thanks for replying. I was searching some easier method and less time consumsing method. If any of you come across any good method so please let me know. If I come across something I will sure drop it in tips.

kujur

Hi, Keith

it would be nice if you can explane it in more detail. I have that by accuracy you can reduce the data loss. I know that Catia's accuracy is 0.005 and Pro/E's accuracy is 0.0012. But if I change it to 0.005 it is giving more loss as compared to previous. If you can share knowledge then it will be nice of you.

thanking for replying

kujur

Default Pro/E accuracy is relative (to diagonal of bounding box), Catia accuracy is absolute. Try setting Pro/E accuracy to absolute, but I doubt this will help.

Thanks Gallup for replying,

But how much value I should put. Shall I go with the default value or apply something between Pro/E and Catia. Still this data trnslation is a big issue for us.We are finding lot much problem.

kujur

I would start by setting them the same or setting Pro/E smaller value (more accurate) but you will have to experiment. I really recommend STEP if it is at all possible. IGES is a very loose standard, every CAD company has a different "flavor". Like I said before, I have never had a clean iges exchange between Pro/E & Catia but then I have never been able to control the Catia end of the exchange.

You may want to play around with the type of iges data you are creating: wireframe, surfaces, solids, types of curves & surfaces, etc. There are a lot of variables. Check the conversion log files to see if there are particular types of entities that are not getting translated and see if you can change the type of entity you are exporting. There are direct translators that can save you a lot of headaches if you have to do this a lot.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back