Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Graphics quality in WF2 vs 2001

dlongmi

I apologize in advance if this is an old subject and in the wrong place.

I am running an AlienWare laptop with the NVIDIA Radeon 9000, 128 Meg card. In 2001....it's beautiful. Graphics are crisp, highlights are great and overall quality is what I expect with the card.

In WF it's lousy....worse than lousy. The highlights are non-existent and the shading is dull and lifeless. The shading is jumpy and makes my eyes hurt.

What is going on?

TIA
Edited by: dlongmi

Are you sure it's not an ATI instead of an Nvidia card.

If its an ATI card Wildfire doesn't really support alot of those cards, but you could try updating the driver to see if it will help.

Chech the support page for a list of supported cards for Wildfire.

Check to see if your running opengl and if your card supports it, if not try win32gdi in the config.pro

my ATi card in my lap work eh ok but nothing like my old nvidia card.

My bad on the NVIDIA...it is the ATI Radeon. I was looking thru the PTC site for graphic card compatibility half the dayand NVIDIA was stuck in my head....
smiley11.gif

Anyway...I think I just answered my question. I have been dinkin around with shading and graphics quality and lighting. I believe two issues were the problem.

First, the part looked really washed out and the highlights were junk. The solution was to tutn off the ambient light and up the quality of the remaining light. Something is different with the default ambient lightfrom 2001. Don't know..don't care...just as long as I can turn it off.

Second, the highlight color was gray. I changed it to off white/sunshine yellow...Ha! fixed.On what planet, asteroid or cosmic body is ambient light gray? Maybe the dungeon PTC has the programmers in is gray.
smiley36.gif

Mystery solved.....

Glad you found the problem
smiley36.gif

When i was using Photolux in WF2 vs Photorender in 2001 I had the same question. I had every technique set up for white then they changed it to gray.

Sometimes I think PTC is smoking alittle to much of the funny stuff to get through the day
smiley4.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back