Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

REVERSE ENGINEERING

lcl

HI, ALL

I'LD LIKE TO USE OLD CNC MILLING PROGRAMS TO CONVERT THE DATA INTO PROE SOLIDS OR SURFACES.

I KNOW THAT I SHALL ENTER THESE DATA AS POINTS. DOES ANYONE GOT EXPERIENCE ON THIS?? WHICH ARE THE STEPS??

BY OTHER HAND I'VE GOT TO REMOVE THE HEADER AND THE FOOTER OF THE MILLING PROGRAMS REMOVE ALSO THE Gs Fs AND SO ON THIS SHALL NOT BE A PROBLEM. THE PROBLEM IS THAT MOST OF THE TIMES WE HAVE NOT x y z COORDINATES ON EACH LINE BECAUSE SOME OF THEM ARA THE SAME AS PREVIOUS LINES. QUESTION:

DOES ANYONE HAVE OR KNOW WERE I CAN FIND SOME KIND OF PROGRAM TO READ THE ORIGINAL MILLING PROGRAM AND PUT ALLWAYS THE 3 COORDINATES (x y z) ON EACH LINE??

THANKS

REGARDS

I believe this can be done in vericut without all the headache.

smiley2.gif

Luis,

You are going to need the full version of vericut with the ability to run G code and to export cut models. You can then cut a block of material and export the cut model in IGES and read it back into Pro.

Regards

Hi Peterbrown77,

thanks.

And return to my first question, and using ProE, because I have not the full version of Vericut.

thanks

Luis,

You're asking a lot I think. I would look online for CNC backplotters. I don't know if any of them are going to export the kind of data you need. At best, the 'free' ones are going to be 2D. If there is any a/b/c axis rotation, just reading in the datapoints of the cutter is not going to help.

Regards.

The best cheapest and easiest way I can think of to use the CNC data is to machine a part out of a ren and have it scanned in.

Other then vercut (which I am not even sure would give you what you are looking for) the only other way to use this data directly is to enter the data by hand.

Even With this Pro-E module their is considerable work to be done in order to get exactly what you want.

Often it is best to hirea company that dose reverse engineering in order to get what you want at a cheaper less time consuming cost.

Here is the Pro-E module for your ref.

Good luck
Interactive Reverse Engineering Extension
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
Benefits
The transformation of scanned data into a facet model is highly automated. You can modify and customize the results with simple and complex geometry that is not dependent on any data.
Cutting-edge Restyle tools refine point cloud and polygonal data for optimum results. These tools reduce noise, or the total points, to speed up processing without sacrificing detail. You can delete or refine triangles to eliminate any error and not compromise surface integrity or detail. The transformed data captures the design intent and maintains critical geometry for use later. On a facet model, you can quick-pick simple surfaces or complex surfaces. You can project a surface to fit facet data or to fit boundary surfaces of curves that you have sketched. Pro/ENGINEER provides a full set of tools to analyze the surface for any deviation from the facet model. You can edit surface to change such properties as surface type (NURBS/BEZIER), U/V parameters, and so forth. You can manipulate the surface in a free-form or numerical manner to fine-tune the model. The result is a modifiable and customizable surface representation of a product that fits right the first time.
Menu Location
Select > Insert > Restyle </DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>

13-1
Primitive Shape Recognition for Surfaces
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
Benefits
Primitive shape recognition highly automates the creation of Pro/ENGINEER surfaces on facet data for simple geometry such as cylinders, cones, flats, revolutions, and extrusions.
Shape recognition provides you with an extremely efficient way to recognize and create primitive geometry from a facet model. Current functionality provides for the recognition of cylinders, cones, flats, revolutions, and extrusions. Shape recognition allows the engineer or designer the unique opportunity to focus more time on complex areas of the model.
Menu Location
Insert > Restyle </DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>

HA HA HA.... you want your reverse engineering on a silver platter don't you!

all the "points" in the g code do not equal a part surface. they will equal a cutter centerline path. you also have a cutter shape and diameter. you may or may not have that information in youre files. it may be keyed into the machines controll and merely called in the program.

you don't get something for nothing.

With my experience of reverse engineering and ProE REX (rev. eng. extension) I come across this problem on a daily basis.

My advise to you would be to mill a one off resin model of the component using your existing cnc programmes, have this laser scanned and then reverse engineered using the REX module, this can then be exported as Iges etc. or directly as a dxf file ready for machining.

The company I work for provide this service bureau work and i would be happy to quote you for carrying out this work. I think you may be surprised as to how much time and effort you might save yourself.

Cheers for now

Alan

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back