Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wire EDM, Pro/E, Esprit...

pro_javi

Hipeople

I wonder how many people use Pro/E for Wire Edm machining. We are switching from Esprit to Pro/E and so far we have got a decent job with 2 axis parts (post and fil programming, quiet painful)

Now, we are facing serious problems with XYUVjobs. The ncl file writes separated sections and the synchronization does not work. We only thing we get correct is a part with 2 sections with the same number or entities and theseare only lines, circles do not work.

Has anyone encountered this problems? Any help would be appreciated.

it sounds like your post needs modifyng.. which software are you using to post process the .ncl file ?

It's odd that you would switch from Esprit to Pro for wire edm. Most people go the other way. Esprit is widely considered to be the best package for wire edm, especially for 4 axis. Anyway, for synchronization between sections with unequal number of entities, use Divide to break lines or arcs to achieve equalentities. Then add synchronization constraintsbetween vertices of upper and lower sections. As far as xy uv output, it is separated in the cl file. The post has to synchronize the 2 sets of data and it may be that the standard post isn't going to work. I tried using a standard post years ago, but it output the uv data in absolute mode. Our machine required uv data in incremental mode, so it was useless.

I would look at building a custom post.

You are right Mildire. Esprit is a nice package, but, Pro/E is our main cad system, and we want to keep the link between the cad and manufacturing data, so we went for it.

Now, we had a custom post for 2 axiswhich works great and when the part changes thetoolpath update is very smooth. In addition, you lose no time in translations and take advantage of the same software. Also you can simulate material removal and with complex partsthe 3Denvironment helps a lot.

We are tryingthe post to support 4 axis but no success so far, at least we get UV in incremental mode...

Thks for the replies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back