Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 2 to 3ds max 6 or Maya 6

mroman

Anyone and Everyone,

I was wondering what the opinions were about using 3ds max 6.0 or Maya for animations and such with a Wildfire model? also, what are the best formats for exporting ProE Wildfire 2.0 part files and assemblies to be used in these programs?

I have tried various iges files, vrml, stl, and I saw that someone said .obj worked, but not for me I just got an error. I have tried this only in 3ds max haven't got to Maya yet.The best format so far with 3ds max has been Photo Render (.igs) but some of the features are still incorrect, ie. holes filled on one end andplanes that run off the edge of the part.

Would it be best to use a third party like PolyTrans? I assume yes but will it give me quality parts for rendering? will be able to import/export assemblies?

I have used Pro E for a few years now but new (this week) to 3ds max and haven't installed Maya yet.

Thanks

Hi

I can recommend PolyTrans, have been using it a coupple of years now for exporting Pro/E models into TrueSpace.

I always export in pro/e render format, .slp,and convert to .obj or .scn in PolyTrans.
It works great but you have to prepare the models carefully in Pro/E since the render format divides the parts into separate surfs based on color.

Works both for single parts and assy's and the quality is great.

Hope this will assist you.

I use a program call Power Translator from N-power software.

http://www.npowersoftware.com/

It allows you to import iges or step files into Max or Maya (they have
a plugin for both programs. It quality of the imports are
great. The other huge benifit is that you can step out a whole
assemlby and when you import it into Max, it creates an individual item
in max for each part that you had in pro. Saves alot of time when
working on assemblies. I use this program alot and it works
great.

Good luck...

Michael Allman

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World