Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Helicoid ??

lolo

Hello

Does anyone know how to machine a hole with a mill (and not a drill)
using an helicoidal trajectory, in proNC or in expert machinist ?

Good Morning lolo,

If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to interpolate a hole with an end mill using a helical path down to the final depth. I am not sure why you would want to do that but you can try using the thread milling sequence. You may have to "trick" the system but I believe that might give you what you need.

Usually when you have to circular interpolate a hole for manufacturing it is because either it calls for a custom tool or the standard tool is unavailable and you need to get the parts out. Also, you usually use either a trajectory sequence and interpolate the hole at one "level" and step down if necessary while using some lead in and out parameters.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Christopher

Hi Lolo,

You have a few options:

1- Thread mill (what Christopher suggested)

2- A volume sequence with a big step_depth that does a simple profile at the bottom (you can later in customize cut out the profile if needed). Use helical_diameter to make a helical plunge entry.

3- If you do not care about having an exacthelical motion, but want just a continuous move all the way down the surface of the hole, try surface machining/ cutline with Scan_type = helical.

4- Make a helical curve and drive it using trajectory sequence.

Charles
Sigmaxim, Inc.

you can also use a surface sequence.

select your surface, then in define cut use cutline with closed loop, select the top and bottom edges of the surface, then go back to Parameters and set scan type to Type_helical. Your step over is used to control the pitch simalar to step depth.

Hope this helps

lolo said:
Hello

Does anyone know how to machine a hole with a mill (and not a drill)
using an helicoidal trajectory, in proNC or in expert machinist ?

I like to heli-ramp a lot; it saves time (no pilot drilling), it's simple and eats metal like there was no tomorrow.

All methods mentioned in the previous posts are good, Volume milling
being my favorite (provides most control), however here's my trick that
I think is pretty good:

1. lets say I need to hog-out a cavity that is maybe 2.000" in dia. and 1.000" deep and I must use 1.000" end mill to do that.

2. I want to create four passes .250" each.

3. I would create a quick Trajectory sequence using the bottom edge of
the cavity and assign Helical Approach with the .250" Radius Parameter,
720deg. Entry_Angle and .250 Clear Distance. Voila! The cutter makes
two helical rounds as it gets down to the next level. That's it in the nutshell.

I hope it helps

Thank you very much for these answers.

Thread milling seems to work. The definition of the tool is a bit
unusual, but i have a result. I am going to try with a curve trajectory
and its helicalo approach.

Edited by: lolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back