Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

reference parameters

vbvbvb

suppose it's required to create a component which is mating part of some other component 'A'just like die and punch, to create mating part i need write down all the parameters of 'A' , is there any easy method to do these kind of operations

So you want to use a dimension from one part to drive another and you want this to happen automatically?

You can either

1. Activate the partwithin the assembly, use the references of the other part.

2. Use the shared data, merge to insert the required part into the new part.

I have used this a few times. This is the example that I used.

I have a surface (it can be any model not just a surface) that defined the overall shape of a product, call this model 'A'. I created an empty assembly and placed the model 'A' into the assembly. I then createdanotherpart within the assembly called top. Now still in the assembly go Component, Adv Utils, Merge.

I then picked the top part as thisis the parts that i want to merge to model'A' into. You then pick the part you want to merge eg model'A'. You can choose whether you want copy datums etc. Now open the 'top' part and you should have a merge feature. If you modify the 'model'A' then the 'top' part will automatically change too (after a regen)

Does that explain it?

PS. This is using 2001 not Wildfire. (I use Wildfire)

I quote the reply of red devil here

1. Activate the partwithin the assembly, use the references of the other part.

2. Use the shared data, merge to insert the required part into the new part.

Besides these two options you can use relations in assembly to mate two parts like die and punch. I personally use relation to do this.

Israr

you can also you projection of a surface and reference it that way in assembly so you can keep an automatic gap. This takes away from have to going in and making relations.

just so you know

smiley17.gif
well guys i found some method just check insert>shared Data>copy Geometry from other model u CAN TAKE THE REFERENCE EASILY BY THIS METHOD

Don't forget the little used, often overlooked, and unsupported (but still very functional)layout model which can drive both parts.

Be cautious using copy geometry that references the original geometry. The reference geometry (part A) must be in session for your part to regenerate properly. I have been bitten by this recently, thinking that because the part (part B)referencespart "A", part "B" would call up part "A" into session. Not so, you must physically call up part "A" in order forpart "B" toupdate the geometry. I will think twice before using this option again. If it does not bite me in the future, it will probably get someone else.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back