Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sheet Metal Newbie... Please Help

MartinBooker

Guys and Gals,

I'm a sheet metal newbie but have been asked to produce the following part, which I'm struggling with....

This is what I want to start with.....

View attachment 496

And then roll it to form a tube like this......

View attachment 497

And then finally fold the "petals" over like this.....

View attachment 498

I can get it to roll as in the second picture but cant find anyway to fold the end as per the last pic (Which I fudged together as a solid).

I'm running Wildfire 2.. Can anyone help ??????
smiley4.gif

What if you would bend each of the petals "90 Deg"in the first flat view, then roll the part as the final feature?

Could you create the bend for the tub first, unbend the roll.... create smalle straight cuts for a straight surface to then create the walls individually as you would a normal flat wall with radius....

Not sure if it will produce the exact result.. but it will be close. Otherwise you could use some of the advanced features however it may not unbend in a "real world" situation.

Did you try with it in the final state its in now to use a rip for a break

in the shetmetal the unfold it.

Basically instead of modeling it in sheetmetal model it in part design

then import it into sheetmetal (make sure of constant wall thickness)

give it a driving surface (green surf) and see if it comes in, then do

a rip relief and unfold it.

it is very difficult with proe to handle such parts, because they are made to be constructed with molding methods in the industry as you know and not with traditional simple methods, simple bends i mean.

you can try to build the part as fogs told above and try to unbend it using Xsec driven method but iam not sure that it will work....

i'ii give it a try but i don't promise,.....
smiley19.gif

Hi Martin,

I'm a newbe here to, or is it a wanabe..whatever. I think you can create your part by

1st create your blank

next use bend,roll w/transit (ProE transitions from the roll to the flat triangles using the distance you call out.

next use bend, regular to bend the triangles.

I can't getpictures to upload or paste here. So I don't know what I can do to show the file I have created.

Hope this helps

john

wildfire 1

Mr. Xcad,

I would like to do that but as I said in my last post i can't get the upload to work. I can email the pictures or file to you if you like.

john

to especial

nice try.. but i don't think that if we take the unfolded sheetmetal part and form it to the shape we want, we will take the final shape that proe shows us...

i don't know there must be something wrong here

Mr johncom is i believe close to the solution, but i am waiting for the final part

xcad

Posted: 03February2005 at 12:59am | IP Logged

"to especial

nice try.. but i don't think that if we take the unfolded sheetmetal part and form it to the shape we want, we will take the final shape that proe shows us...

i don't know there must be something wrong here"

I just modeled similar to whatMartinBooker has. If the part can't be built don't keepus insuspense. Show us

Wow this thread really took off !!!

Nothing for weeks and then ......
smiley4.gif

Thankyou all for your responses and efforts. This was the way I did it finally it with a lot of help from especial.

(1) Create 'first wall' as a tube shape.

View attachment 623

(2) Create 'end cap' second wall.

View attachment 624

(3) Use 'unbend' feature and simple cuts to make petals.

View attachment 625

(4) And finally a 'bend back' feature to re-roll the tube

View attachment 626

A result I'm sure you'll agree but I was dissapointed that the 'petals' seemed to deform when they were folded so I had to fudge it in the end to get it to look pictorially correct for the drawing.

Again, thanks to especial for you help.
Edited by: MartinBooker

Israr,

I am running Wildfire 1.2 student and have no way to convert the file to commercial Pro-e. Any suggestions?

john

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back