Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating Searchable PDF from .drg

integrity6987

Has anybody ever been able to create a searchable .pdf format from a .dwg or .dxf saved from Pro/E the way it can be done from Inventor via Adobe distiller?

PTC support told meis not possible but we have all developed "work arounds" before on other issues.- I have submitted an enhacement request. I am Begging others to do the same to give this some consideration for the next release. Based on some Knowledge Basehits Ithink the font has to be a truetype (not isofont) -that did not solve the issue, but I think is a step toward solving it.

Please reply to the post if you have a solution or after you submit an enhancement request to help me out.

I appreciate your help elevatiing this issue with PTC.

LL&P

I think the basic problem is that Pro/E is not writing the postscript file with any text represented by characters & fonts. I believe the text is converted to line & arc segments. You can not use the text select or text highlight tools in Acrobat on any PDF file that was distilled from Pro/E or Acad2000 postscript files.

I don't see any work around until PTC completely re-writes their print drivers.

If I understand the question correctly--can we create a pdf drawing
from a proe drawing, the answer is yes. We use GS Tools. If
you want more info let me know. I need to have the IT Guy dumb it
down for me
smiley4.gif

Thanks,

Laserguy

Laserguy,

R u saying that you have a solution for this... and I will be able to do a text search in that particular .pdf file.

If yes ...

Then pls. further info...

Best rgds

Vishnu

Thanks for some feedback already! -For clarification:

The goal is to create drawings from Pro/E that will permit the text (notes, part number, etc) to be searchable.

We want to create a directory with .pdf files that can be indexed and searched (maybe using Googles new desktop search engine - which is cool, check it out) so our production folks can look up specs more quickly/easily.

PLEASE got to PTC.com/support and submit an enhancement request for v2001 on up.

Checking back with no new approaches.

Please go to PTC and make an enhancement request......Maybe tey will listen to their custmers
smiley36.gif
!!

Anyway --- Do you think adding a "cover sheet" from another program with serchable text to a "dumb" .pdf outpit from pro/e is a workaround??

let me know your thoughts

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back