Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rounds on Sheetmetal prt / Best Practices

Freecat

I amstarting to learn Pro/SHEETMETAL and really don't know the best way to model this part: 2004-10-23_011828_right_side_plate3.prt.zip(resume all features to see theentire model).For starters I must mention that this part was constructedfor my ownPro/Sheetmetal testing, so there may be some odd dimensioning schemes etc! Anyhow, what I am wondering is if I am on track with my intent of creating this type of part by starting with a solid extrusion feature in the flat, converting it to sheetmetal, then bending it and applying rounds?Or maybe I should create this part entirely as a solid, built exclusively fromextrude features,and then unbend it in sheetmetal?Additionallythere is one major problem that I ran into with creaing the rounds I need. I need a .250R round on both sides of the part, and unfortunately Ican only achieve this on theone side.The other side I can only get .06 or so to work without failing. I believe the culprit is where the sheetmetal bends occur, the material displaces along the adjacent edge surfaces. Is using a cut feature to remove / trim off this extra material an accepted methodon sheetmetal partsto aid with round creation?

Ultimately my intent is to have a model that is robust,and will produce engineering drawings that capture the manufacturing methods necessary to make the part (also for calculatingY and K factors for precisionbending). Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks -Richh

Richh,

I could not open your drawing; however I think I understand your question. I have found that your sheetmetal model will be more robust if it is designed in the formed state using the sheetmetal commands flat wall use radius, extruded wall use radius, etc. Unbend the part and make the required cuts if they are to cross bends and draw the radii in the sketch. This is more stable than fillets.Creating in the formed statewill allow you to easilymake modifications thatbehave predictably. Let me know if youneed a more detailed explination.

Erik

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back