Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Gun barrel mechanism

mikes

Hello all,
I am trying to develop a contraption to mimic the forces and accelerations inside the gun barrel.
I need something made I could use for testing some of the components I am creating for use on guns.
I do not want to simulate the phenomenon in PRO/Mechanica. I wonder if anyone reading my post worked in this field and can give me some hints form experience, or guide me to some sources.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
TIA,
Michael

Mikes,

I happen to work in the industry and also do a fair amount of smithing
and gun building at home. Are you looking for recoil simulation
from the device, or the "interior ballistics." Which is actually
what happens internally with pressure and temperature?

Laserguy2000

Mike

There are dozens if not hundeds of different breech mechanisms for firearms. You might take a look at patent info for different companies if you can't make it to a local gun shop and get a hands on feel for things.

Wayne

Thanks to all who responded.
Knowing the gun barrel dynamics means knowing forces, acceleration change, jerk, temperatures, and pressures.
I need to know how the barrel reacts to the forces created inside it to design a device that mimics the phenomena inside.
Maybe I am asking too much and the maximum acceleration or jerk should suffice.
I am trying a crude idea of generation such an acceleration using a rotating mechanism.
The rough numbers are pretty high, for a 4000 ft/sec bullet speed at the muzzle, I am getting 2100 rad/sec of a rotating arm, 24 in. long.
Some of the foreseeable problems are the engaging/impacting the arm with/to a stationary member that could slide longitudinally within some roller bearing and, of course, finding a material which could stand such an impact.
Well here maybe some sort of sacrificial part can be the solution.
All this is not tested so there is a lot to be experimented.

Rgs,
Michael<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back