Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Which processor is good for Pro-E

ksarita20

Planning to buy laptop. Could any one tell me which processor is good. When comparing Intel Centrino and AMD Athlon XP-M which one is betterfor pro-e. Also what is optimal screen size needed for display in pro-E.

I've got an HP ZD7000. This is one of the best laptops for Pro/E because of the large display, numeric keypad, desktop processor and OpenGL graphics card. Mine has a desktop P4 3.2 MHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, nVidia GeForce FX Go5600 (128 MB) graphics card and 17" display at 1440 x 900 resolution. It's better than my workstation at work except for the display size. Now you can get the 17" display with 1680 x 1050 resolution!

The down side of this machine is size, weight and battery life (large, heavy & short).

You can run Pro/E on smaller, less powerful laptops but I wouldn't want to.

Stay away from the Intel Centrino, we have some Dell D400 & D600 machines with 1GB RAM and it takes 4 minutes just to start Pro/E. As a point of comparison we have some Dell C840 machines with1 GB RAM and slower processors and Pro/E only takes 30 seconds to come up.

The only obvious difference is the chip type. The C series have real Intel chips and the D series we have use the Centrino chip.

i have a friend who runs wf on a laptop

600mhz intel

512 ram

20 gig hdd

runs fine for small assemblies with not too complicated features

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back