Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

cutting a slot in a cylindrical part...

glider90

I have a cylindrical part that is rolled to include 270 degrees. It is .060 thick, with a 2.25" I.d.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I want tocut a small slot (1/4" dia x 1 long)perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. How can I do this?<O:p></O:p>

Iwill make a flat pattern when I am done, with the slot being cut normally through the item, before it is rolled. The part will be lasered from the flat pattern, and then rolled.<O:p></O:p>

I am working in WF2 sheetmetal.

Thanks for any feedback...<O:p></O:p>

~JB
Edited by: glider90

JB,

Did you try an unbend and then do a plain sheetmetal cut in the flat state. You could then do a bend-back to again have your cylinder. This sounds like it would do what you require.

I hope this helps.

glider90,

Create a point on the curved surface and then create an axis through this point and normal to the surface. Now create cut using sheetmetal cut.

Alternately you click on insert and then hole under Insert menu if you want the cut from the outer cylinderical surface.

Israr

Glider90,

Maybe want you will want to try is a solid class cut in sheet metal. What I mean is go to insert at the top menu bar, and select cut/extrude from there.

Mr.Floyd,

Thanks, that got me what I wanted in the simplest manner. I had not used the unbend/bendback feature in the middle of a model before. Probably an obvious choice, but I never considered it.

Thanks

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back