Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

pro e portfolio

jpryor79

i've graduated college two years ago with a BSME and i am finding it hard to get a job. recently i have been focusing on pro/e as my main selling point because in school and on my own free time i've spent alot of hours on pro/e. when i go on interviews though it does not seem to matter, they only consider professional experience.with that in mind i hane started developinga pro/e modeling portfoliocompletewith assebly models of various steam and striling engines, and whatever else I can think of. isthere anything else i can add to my portfolioto help supplement my resume so i can compete.

smiley2.gif

You should try going a step beyong just a simple portfolio. Try to include estemated cost, as well as manufacturing data for the models in your portfolio. You want an employer to relize that you have a whole lot more to offer than just modeling skills. If it is possible try to manufature some of the items in your portfolio so you can take those items on your interview.

I noticed youonly mentioned model creation. Iwould also suggest you create drawings of some sample parts and assemblies. Many companies are now insisting the Engineer document their design and, by having some sample drawings you will go a long way to demonstrate your abilities. I found a book years ago, "Drawing Requirements Manual" edited by Jerome H. Lieblich that's a good reference of drawing standards. The book lists the requirements the DOD requires in a drawing package which is more detailed than most companies require. So if you're create a few drawings with this level of detail, you should be able to meet any companies requirements.

I agree with rayferris but would like to take it a atep further.

Learn how to properply apply dimensioning and tolerancing
schemes to your piece part drawings based on the function of
part. Also, learn the two most widely used dimensioning languages;
traditional x-y coordinate and GD&T. A great starting point would be
ASME Y14.5M-1994 Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard.

Lastly, learn how to perform proper tolerance stack analyses based
on the dimensioning and tolerancing schemes you have applied to
the pieces parts that interface with one another in an assembly.

I agree with the Hacks. Keep it simple. Don't over do the ASME Y14.5M-1994 Dimensioning and Tolerancing. First time users love to just add all sorts of tolerances. Good drawings lower manufacturing costs andsmart GD&Tmakes good drawings.

Maybe before young jpryor starts slapping gd&t all over his drawings he should first learn what and why they need to be there. The best way to do that is to find out about the manufacturing processes themselves. Many companies now wantengineers who have a sufficient knowledge of the industry how their products are actually made. I'm not suggesting you take a line job at the mill on the edge of town (its probably closed down by now and moved to China anyway), but some honest to goodness manufacturing experience will go a long way in your career path.

I remember the interview for my first job out of college. I had a portfolio filled with color images and drawings. I was told "I don't need to see any of that". They were more concerned about me as an employee and not so much the pretty pictures. When I left, I said "Glad I didn't the projector and slides!". It go me a chuckle.. and the job.

What I got out of it was my Cad experience, although important, is just one of the tools in my arsenal. I wouldn't get too caught up in some huge portfolio.

My $.02

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back