Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Best hardware for Wildfire on Windows XP?

Eminem

What is the best hardware for running large assemblies in Wildfire on Windows XP?

Intel Pentium or AMD Opteron?

Dual Processors?

Depends on your pocket. hahaha

We have just purchased HP XW8000 (dual processor Xeon 3.06 GHz, 256MB graphics card, 2GB RAM etc.) and it works fine. An assembly of 400 MB was difficult to work on on my previous system is now working fine with this system.

So a dual processor system and a better graphics card (256 Mb) would work fine.

Israr

I just built a new machine to run Pro/E WF 2.0:

Single processor Pentium 4 3.4 GHzExtreme Edition

NVDIA Quadro FX3000 256MB video card AGP 8X

2GB PC3200 RAM

2X 10K RPM Western Digital Raptorhard drives runningin Raid 0.

This setup was relatively inexpensive compared to a full blown commercially mfg'ddual processor workstation.And itsimply plays with 250 MEG assemblies (I must admit I haven't experience 400 meg assemblies yet). I can run with the highest graphics settings without a hitch. Realtime rendering is a bit much though, however I haven't found a good reason to use RTR for the work I do... All in all I have been pleased withthis setup.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Richh

We use the Dell Precision 360 workstations.

Single P4 3.0 GHz

2GB RAM

Wildcat 7110 graphics card.

We do 1GB assemblies regularly and this system handles them just fine.

It's all in the graphics card, no substitute for Wildcat cards. Expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Bill

Dual processors are a waste of money if you are just running Pro/E because it is not multi-threaded. However, if you run a lot of apps and switch back & forth frequently then dual processors can be useful to improve switching speed. If you run analysis code in the background while running Pro/E then dual processors are great.

What about alternative operating systems? Are there more powerful options than Windows? If so, are they still compatible within a Windows network andable to share FlexLM licenses from an XP based machine?

Thanks for all of the help!
Edited by: Eminem

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back