Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

xtop error /trail text?

cncwhiz

I think that I read about how to handle and xtop error through here or pro user? Someone said that if you delete the last five to seven lines in the trail text from the last known bad trail text it will fix the file? Has enyone done this or talked to someone who has?

the trail file contains everything you do after ProE is launched. When you re-open ProE and re-play the last trail file, you are telling the computer to do everything that it did last time a session was started. So if you are trying to get your work back after ProE has crashed, you can do this (and delete the last few lines otherwise ProE will just crash again), but you have to make sure all your files are how they were before your last session started.

Basically, it's fairly easy to do unless you saved at any point in your last session. Then it gets kind of tricky, so you have to make sure you know exactly what you are doing. You can:

1) either delete the versions of the files you saved, reverting back to how they were originaly, and then run the trail file; or

2) edit the trail file, deleting everything before + including the last save (as well as the very last few lines), and then open proe and get it to the same point the model was at when you saved it last. This usally doesn't work, though, because the model might have to be in the same position (orientation, pan, and zoom) as it was before, depending on what you were doing.

Sorry this was so long. Basically, make sure you know what you are doing before you edit or run your trail file. As a warning, I have done this with large assemblies, and ProE has crashed at an earlier point than it did before. So nothing is guaranteed.

Ok,

I am working on a mfg session. I added a new nc sequence and saved it. After I made this change I went in and deleted the trail text for this secession. When I opened the session again my saved new sequence was still there. If you go into pro/program I will see the new sequence as soon as I save. How is the model,assy or mfg really tied to trail text. If pro/program saves all changes and gets corrupt as to cause a xtop error then how can deleting some lines from trail text fix the problem?

The trail.txt files are not tied to anything. They are basically log files which record everything that you do in ProE. ProE also has the ability to play these log files back (through Utilities > Play Trail/Training File).

So, if you crash out during a session, you can delete the last few lines in the trail.txt, re-open ProE, and play back the edited trail file, and ProE will do exacly what you did in the last session, stopping a few steps earlier (because you deleted the last few steps) so it won't crash.

If you are getting an xtop error when you run Pro/Program, the only thing the trail file might help you with is finding out what caused ProE to crash. Open the trail file in notepad and look at the last few lines. You should be able to figure out what ProE was doing right before it crashed. Then go to your Pro/Program script and see if you can change some things around in that part of the program so that ProE won't continue to crash at the same point.

I hope I am understanding what the problem is, as I have never dealt with any of the manufacturing modules in ProE.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back