Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dimensions of a wrapped datum curve in a drawing

EddyVE

Hi all,

To create a sweep cut along the surface of a cilinder, I created a wrapped datum curve to be used as the trajectory for the sweep.

I sketched the curve on a (flat) datum plane and 'wrapped' the curve around the cilinder surface.

The purpose is to create a groove disk or a slotted disk.

Now I want to make a mechanical drawing of this part. It would be extremely handy if I could show the trajectory curve of the sweep in its 'flat' state and add dimensions to it.

Is this at all possible? If so, how..?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Eddy

If you are using wildfire you can just take the curve and use the wrap command to make it a formed curve (2001 and on)... Than you can make a simplified rep and show just the flat curve, which is not pretty..... So here is what I think you want to do in a nutshell.

Use parameters to drive the curve distances that you want to show on the flat state. Than you have 2 options depending on how you want to do this, heres what I do. I create an assy with this part with the part with this curve and a part that has the same name and graph. The graph part is basically a curve same to what you wrapped but in the flat state on a grid to my liking, using the parameters to from the one part to drive it. We used this on cams, etc.... Theres a TPI on showing dimensions from a graph feature similar Idea.

What we do to make Pretty Drawing these days....

BTW I forgot to mention, one thing I was looking into and have not gotten that far was to take these parameters into excel (using the excel spreadsheet functionality) and graphing it and figuring out a way to show this in a drawing.

Does anyone know of a way that we can show an Excel graph in a PRoE Drawing???

Hi Slash,

Yes, adding a graph was the only way I could think of.

I hadn't thought of the possibility to use parameters in the graph dimensions to assure a one-to-one relationship with the wrapped curve.

Good idea! Thanks!

About inserting an Excel sheet in a drawing: Wildfire has the Insert / Object menu command that allows you to insert an Excel worksheet or graph in your drawing. Only just tested it (it works) but haven't actually used it yet.

Kind regards

Eddy

CREATE THE CURVE YOU WANT TO WRAP AROOUND THE CYLINDER USING RELATIONS TO DRIVE THE DIMS. cREATE A SKETCH OR ANOTHER CURVE EXACTLY THE SAME. USE ONE TO WRAP AROUND THE CYLINDER. THE OTHER WILL BE IN THE FLAT STATE.

tHE KEY NOW IS TO CREATE A DRAWING VIEW IN THE RIGHT PLANE TO SHOW THE FLAT CURVE AND THEN USE VIEW LEVEL LAYERS TO TURN OFF THE CURVE YOU DONT WANT TO SEE AND KEEP THE FLAT ONE. THE DIMS ARE ALL PARMETRIC JUST LIKE THE WRAPPED ONE.

View attachment 413

hey eddy if i can ask what did u use this cam for?

i made one almost identical for a intermittent drive

reason i ask is that i was wondering about ur exit and entrance points on your curves.

Wouldnt you not use more of a ramp rather than a curve at these points? to produce more linear speeds at these points?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back