Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to keep tool down on surface in 5 axis surface milling?

mwd0327

Does anybody know how to keep tool down on the surface in 5 axis surface milling? I get allot of jumping to retract height as Pro/nc mills the surface. Thanks...

Dear mwd0327,

There may be a problem with the surface you chose to mill. Try creating a milling surface using the copy utility. Sometimes this will clean up any discrepancies in the surface definition.

Also, if this surface is not critical and can vary from the original surface, open the tolerance in the sequence parameters. This may also do the trick. Good luck.

Christopher

I have found this to happen when using 3-axis. I have found that when milling a complex cavity the tool will jump to the retract plane when it meets a round. Its not a problem when rough cutting, but it also occurs on the finish cut which leaves a small line. I am using proe 2001. Is this a bug with nc in 2001?

Tinag

The work around you are looking for is to turn off the surface checking for the sequence. Surf checking is on by default to insure you don

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back