Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to edit Bend Tables

anandel

I have a sheetmetal part to unbend. Since the part has bends with different radius values, it has to be unbent with different bend allowances. I think this can be controlled with a bend table. I am fairly new to this program and I can't seem to find the right way of doing it. With the Pro/E help I am not able to completely understand about editing and creating those tables.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. (I am using wildfire and the part matl. is steel)

Thanks!

You don't have to use a bend table if you don't want to ...

Your other option is to set either the Y or K factor so that the standard bend allowance equations will be used.

I think a Y-factor of 0.7 is fairly standard for steel (equates to a K factor of 0.445)

Here is a cool little utility that you can use to reverse engineer your allowance factors based on empirical results:

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~odiegel/bendworks/

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~odiegel/bendworks/bending.pdf

-Brian

Brian, like I said, I have different sets of radius-s in the same part. When I set a K-factor, its for the whole model no matter what the radius is. I have certain rules to follow like,

If R>2T bend allowance is T/2. (R is inside radius of bend and T is matl thickness) Likewise if R<2T bend allo. is T/3.

Now, how can I set these? Is it thro' a table or by writing some relations or anything? I thought these could be set thro' a table and that's why I wanted to know how to edit or create a table.

One thing you want to remember is to set a material in the bend table and set a material in your model or Pro will default to the first bend table. The default tables don't have a material line, you have to add it. You have to match as well, if your model material is CRS and your table is steel it doesn't match.

Also edit the thickness to the standard gauge size and the bend radius to the ones you will specify in your model. If there is no match then Pro defaults to the formula.

When the part is fabed it will be slightly different because there is a grain to sheet stock and the allowance is slightly different depending on which line of the sheet the part is bent to. Pro doesn't compensate for this and you probably won't have any control of it either. It is best to give the fabricator a model or finished drawing and make him responsible for the bend allowance. It also changes from machine to machine and you won't have that info.

If your tolerance os .01 you probably won't have any problem.

jperkins

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back