Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Catia to ProE

airion

I am having trouble importing an IGES file from a customer who uses Catia. It has several holes and missing surfaces; more than I could fix quickly uses zipgaps, etc.(it probably would be quicker to build a whole new model in ProE than patch all those holes) I requested a STEP file, as I have had drastically better solid geometry imported from Solidworks and others using STEP in the past. But a step translater apparently isn't in the base package for Catia and this customer doesn't have it.

I read in the help about importing a .ct file or a .model file directly but have not had success. Does this require an add on modual for ProE? If so, how much does it cost? PTC's website was no help for finding it.

If anyone has any tips for translating Catia to ProE please post them. I don't need features translated, just solid geometry that I can cut away from and add to.

Thanks,

Al

Bringing this back to the top!

We also have problems with data translation from Catia to Proe on iges files. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lesley

I use Proe2001, so unfortunately, the WF2 solution won't work for me.

Thanks anyway, Israr.
smiley1.gif

Lesley

airion,

ask your costumer to send you the files in catia .model extension and not iges, this allows pro/e to inport them via de *.model.

this should be direct.

hope it works for you.

regards,

Paul

I think I was still using either 2001 or Wildfire 1 when I originally made this post and I was unable to import a .model file. I tried importing one but it did not recognize that file type.

I am now using Wildfire 2 so I tried this out. It certainly recognizes the file type, but still did not work for me. Here is the error message:

Cannot activate PRO_FROM_CAT utility.

I have just the basic foundation package. Is this utility part of one of the more expensive ProE packages?

Al
Edited by: airion

you can directly open *.model, *.exp files with Pro2001 and WF1.0if you have an ProEngineer ATB License

I recently found an online service which is really usefulfor CAD data interoperability. You can translate from Pro-E, Catia V4 & V5, I-DEAS, Unigraphics, parasolid and IGES to any of the above listed CAD formats. They even have feature based translations available. It's really inexpensive and really fast. All you have to do is select your source and target data types and upload your file. In a short amount of time you get e-mailed a download link to retreive your translated CAD file. I am very satisifed with the accuracy and quality of the translated CAD files as well as the quick turn around time.

go to:

https://www.cadportal.comand select New User to get an account

Details for this service as well as pricing info can be found at:

http://www.nexroot.com

smiley4.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley4.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back