Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Vericut Advanced Machine Simulation

ctarmijo

Good Afternoon All,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is currently using the vericut machine simulation. I have a few questions about the software so that I can get a feel for how important it is as a tool to have when using complex CNC machines.

First of all, is this tool worth the cost or not? If it is, then what kind of hardware should I have to run Pro/E, Pro/NC, and Vericut Machine Simulation at the same time?

Second, how long does it take to get fully operational for a specific machine if the work is done outside of the facility before it gets in?

I appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Christopher Armijo

i think if your cnc doesn't run anytime ( i mean 24 hours ), you can`t take advantages, especially if your objective is reducing machining time. If you want to machine complex shape ( ex. you need 5 axis) maybe it can be the first article test, so you don`t have to machining wax or other materials. But if your cnc running anytime, so there is a job queue, you can simulate and optimize your nc program whether the other nc program run on the machine. so when you have finished optimized your toolpath, your new optimize toolpath can be machine : ).

The point is, Vericut effective on big company that have many cnc and run anytime. maybe it can answer your question :)

=== the Man behind The Gun =====

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is currently using the vericut machine simulation. I have a few questions about the software so that I can get a feel for how important it is as a tool to have when using complex CNC machines.

First of all, is this tool worth the cost or not? If it is, then what kind of hardware should I have to run Pro/E, Pro/NC, and Vericut Machine Simulation at the same time?

We don't use Pro/NC, we use Mastercam, which has simulation software include, but the simulation software is worth every penny. It is absurd to waste material, cutters, machine time, and risk of damage to machine, when you can take a few minutes to see what it really looks like (including qulaity of surface finsish) on your computer before you even setup (which may be days later).

Second, how long does it take to get fully operational for a specific machine if the work is done outside of the facility before it gets in?

Not sure what work you are talking about and how it relates to Vericut.

Good Morning,

Sorry I was not fully clear on my second question. I was wondering how long it takes to define a complex machine in Vericut (modeling, motion etc...), prove out the motion in the simulation based on the G-code and know that the simulation is good. In other words, what and how long does it take to get Vericut fully operational on a machine by machine basis if you have never used it before?

Thanks for the replies.

Sincerely,

Christopher

Chris,

We use Vericut Machine Simulation extensively. Nothing leaves for the shop floor without going through simulation, and in a year the worst errors we have encountered are two (!) broken taps ( we forgot to drill the holes first).

We have some very expensive new machine tools, and one good spindle crash would easily cost more than Vericut - we are moving at almost 2000 ipm in RAPID.

CGTech can create a machine for you in a matter of 2-3 weeks; you provide them with the machine manuals and some money. I think we spent about $5K for a 4-axis horizontal. Odds are they already have the machine in their library anyway.

I could probably write a book with what I've learned about setting up Pro/NC and Vericut. The keys are: committment, good post-processors, Wildfire 1, solid model tool assemblies, and a custom p-shell application that Simplified Logic wrote for us.

Regards

peterbrown77,

What is a custom p-shell application? Also, is there additional information that Vericut needs from the post to accomplish a full simulation?

Christopher

Chris,

Vericut is machine simulation - literally. Whatever you post to your machine control is interpreted by Vericut in exactly the same way the machine does. There should never be a difference between the G-code you create for the machine and that for Vericut - you want to run the exact same file in each case, otherwise you are not truly verifying the G-code.

The p-Shell application we had written for us is a Pro/TOOLKIT program that reads the GAUGE_Z_LENGTH parameter from the solid tool model and passes it to the Vericut Tool Manager so that we do not have to enter it by hand. This saves a lot of time.

Regards

Peter Brown

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back