Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ABAQUS MSBO OPTION IN IGES IMPORT

zhirayr

Hi there

Im having real big problems managing to import a part I've created using Wildfire. I tried saving the part as a STEP but with no luck- abaqus says that the part has invalid geometry and is unable to mesh a face (even though its a circular tube that has been twisted using warp). I then tried IGES, and checked an MSBO option . The part was importing for more than 34 hours and I eventually gave up on it and cancelled. What is MSBO? Do Pro?engineer files have this so-called entity, and do I need to select it when importing an IGES into Abaqus.

Can someone please help me import this part. Attached is a picture of what it is. I have used the warp feature maybe that's the thing Abaqus does not like.

Many thanks

Zhirayr

View attachment 120

Warp is a newer feature and ABAQUS has to develop translator for it in its coming releases.

Why don't you use Pro/Mechanica in integrated mode.

If you don't have the license get the trial version of Wildfire (datecode 2003100). You will get the license from PTC.

If you don't have the trial version you can download it from

Hawkeye.

If you need help in solving this in Mechanica I can do it for you.

Israr

Did you try obj. Obj is new format which is mainly created for better cooperation btw PTC and AW (Alias Wavefront) packages. Obj is something like STEP

I assume that will use shell elements for this part, therefore, you can go in mechanica shell the model then from mechanica make an IGES file of the shell model. Transfer this geometry to ABAQUS.

Also, you can try to increase the geometry tolerance of the model before transfering it to abaqus.

Good Luck

Thank you all very much for your replies. I will try all these suggestions and let you know what happens. I do have Wildfire and I will try ProMechanica. I need to carry out some pressure, torsion and tensile testing on this part. I will also try saving it as an Obj.

Many thanks again

Zhirayr

Ok I've tried saving it as an Obj but unfortunately Abaqus does not support this file type yet. So I tried using Mechanica to Idealize the part as a shell, and this failed as well. It seems the part is split into two faces, and one of the faces is giving problems. I even tried meshing and it failed to mesh due to this face. It said that the face needs to have more mesh control. What could this problem be?

Zhirayr

View attachment 377

Dear Luis

Where shall I post it? It's a rather large file (11.3Mb). I can split it using WinRAR.

Zhirayr

Guys where is the Startup folder for Wildfire. I need to drop a file in there and I can't find it!!!

Zhirayr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back