Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

AutoCAD--bad word, but need to be able to import pro/e files

jvf-design

Hope someone can help, I am a pro/e designer and love it. My new company is using AutoCAD 2002. Is there anyway that I can design and use pro/e but have others be able to do something with it in AutoCAD. I have tried most of the exports but is there a certain way to do it and a export file that works best? Need help fast otherwise I will have to go back to AutoCAD and I do not want to do that.

Thanks

John

Hello,

You can save a drw file as DWG (R13) file. And you can import dwg file back to Pro/E. This operation is valid for drawings or sketches only.

I am working in firm with same problem. I am user of Pro/E 2001.

For export from Pro/E to dwg use save copy

For impor from AutoCAD to Pro/E use import.

Best regards

Ladislav Nemecek

CAD Designer

I have done this and the AutoCAD guys say they can not do anything with it. They would like to be able to work with it a little bit, maybe some modifications.

John

I do not know what AutoCAD guys can do, but I can modify the most entities of exported documents.

For exemple, I attached a imported file from Pro/E to AutoCAD.

I did anything with this document.

I used Pro/E 2001 and AutoCAD 2002

We used AutoCAD for years to detail Pro/E drawings before Pro Detail existed (and for a couple more years before it was any good). You can do everything with an exported dwg or dxf file that AutoMAD can do. Which means doing everything manually, one line at a time like the worthless electronic etch-a sketch it is.

I used save a copy -> chose format dwg -> save.

That is all.

Best regards

Ladislav Nemecek

CAD Designer

Do your colleagues require 2D or 3D? If 3d you can save a copy

from a part or assembly with the asis (.sat) option.

I'm using wildfire and Acad 2004 though, it may be slightly different with the older software

Regards

John

I have to export Pro/engineer (2001) drawings to collegues using AutoCAD LT97. I create the dwg files as a 'save a copy' in Pro/engineer.

I also wrote a simple macro within Autocad that places the various lines (eg. hidden, geometry, centrelines) onto the correct company Autocad standard layers. The dimensions also changed to the Autocad styles and the text to the correct font.

I then created a button on a Autocad tool bar that the users clicked to fire off the macro. Hey presto the drawing looks like it was created within Autocad.

One point, always show a few isometric views on the pro-engineer drawings. This way preserving your job and its entertaining to watch Autocad users trying to modify them.

Regards,

Chivers

if u got to enviroment -option(could be setup)

do a smal search for dxf and dwg

you can change the scaling options for when u export into autocad. To export with or without a scale. Also as to what version of autocad that you wish to export to.

also if u modify ur drawing options from drawing mode

(advanced- drawing setup) somewhere near the bottem of the scroll window there will be a option to change units of the 2d drawing

inches <---> MM

@ work we had to convert all pro-e drawing to autocad for some silly reason ( external contracting) and found that we had to recale the autocad file, by the scale and then by the units.

hope this helps

Regards PUppet

smiley19.gif

John's method is good,about 3d files' interface between proe & autocad.
smiley17.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back