Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sketcher- remember how I like to dimension

design-engine

I wish in new releases of Wildfire that the intent manager engine in sketcher could learn how I like to dimension items. For example I typicly don;t use radius values when dimensioning arcs. I will not dimension to their center point either. Instead I will tie the arc down using x and y variables. If anyone is interested I could post a screen capture.

I wish that intent manager would make diameter dimensions automatically when making revolved cuts. These are seldom dimensioned as radii but that is all intent manager will make.

I also would like to be able to make an included angle dimension just like the diameter dimension. Currently I have to create an extra centerline, point, dimension and relation to get an included angle to use in a drawing.

For an included angle in sketcher, select the arc and the two end points. I think this is what you were referring to?

No, I mean an included angle like a drill point. I would like to be able to pick the angled line, center line, angled line again and place a dimension. The dimension would be twice the angle between the centerline and the angled line. I have to do this all the time when making revolved cuts. I have a predrawn sketch but it isn't always suitable and I still have to add the relation equation after the feature is finished. (I try to avoid using sketcher relations because of the need to regen twice.)

You could draw the corresponsing angled line on the other side of the revolve-axis and then toggle it to a 'construction' entity (right-click)... then there's no relation to create and you have the full angle in your dimension.

-Brian Adkins

View attachment 339

Mirror the sketched line and change it to a construction line. No relationship would be required.

Sorry, I missed Brians answer :<O

Brian,

I assume you are using something newer that R20, it will not accept the single angular dimension in the above sketch, you have to have the half angle and a relation. Also, when the angle stops short of the centerline Pro/E wants a point there to mark the intersection of the two lines.

Besides, my main point is that I don't want to have to draw the extra geometry, I just want to be able to make the included angle dimension from the right side geometry and centerline. It should be able to do that!

Someday soon we will move beyond R20. All our hardware is now up to the task but I'm thinking of waiting for WF2.

I was using Pro/E 2001... but something similar should work in r20, but you'll need to use a centerline instead of a 'construction line'. Also, i believe the centerline will have infinite length...

But you're right... the ability to do this with 4 clicks would be an improvement to the sketcher (angled-line, centerline, angled-line, place-dim).

-Brian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back