Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Purge

extreme

On windows 2000, PRO 2001, Purge is accessable in windows explorer with the right mouse button to clean up a directory.

When I installed PRO 2001 on windows XP, the purge command is not accessible the same as described above.

Both installations have the purge.bat file in the ptc/bin directory, so what am I am missing on this said XP station?

You need to add the purge command as a right-click option.

You can do this through the File Types settings in Windows Explorer, or through the registry.

Find out how your purge command was originally installed on Win 2000.

A little more detail on proed's reply:

Look for file type extension N/A for file type Folder. Click the Advanced button and add your file Purge action. Note that you can not delete or edit your action from this interface. For that you will have to edit the registry.

This is about as convoluted as Microsoft could make it!

Thanks for the help guys. You at least told me this was possible. Did some research on it in the knowledge base (link below) and found more detailed information. Below is the instructions that I followed, if anyone is interested.

http://www.ptc.com/cs/tpi/110569.htm

Within Windows Explorer application, select Tools, Folder Options..., then select the File Types tab. Scroll down to select the File Folder item and then select the Advanced button. Create a new action by selecting the New... button. Enter Purge in the field labeled Action and enter the following text as the Application used to perform action:

C:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe /c cd %1 &C:\ptc\proe2001\bin\purge.bat *

The default path on Windows XP to cmd.exe is c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

Note: The directory paths C:\winnt\ and C:\ptc\proe2001\ may differ from one workstation to another; the correct path should be entered according to the actual installation directories of Windows 2000 and Pro/ENGINEER respectively. This procedure is provided by PTC for the benefit of the customers. It is neither certified nor supported. Once an Action has been added to a Folder or File Folder within Windows 2000 or Windows XP the action cannot be removed or modified without editing the registry.

Warning: Editing the Actions associated with the File Folder object in Windows XP may cause the Search Companion to start when double clicking folders.

Warning: Editing the Actions associated with the File Folder object in Windows XP may cause the Search Companion to start when double clicking folders.

I am having this problem with my system. Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back