Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Graphics Cards ?????

survey

What is the difference between high end gamer cards (ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro) and the high end workstation cards. Nvidia 1000-2000??

What benifits do the workstation cards have beside support from PTC?

survey

Hi Survey:

There are several: the main ones being that the drivers on the Professional card are optimised for lines and vectors where the gaming cards are optimised for handling texture mapping. The Gaming cards are optimised for speed and high frame rates where a professional card will have a much better image quality. Also the driver options available with the professional cards are much more flexible and detailed.

This is a pretty general statement but if you have a look at the Nvidia site you can down load a PDF document which details the major differences between the two types of cards.

Having said this many of the High end gaming cards can be used in an midrange CAD machine and still get respectable results. But a bit of experimenting with driver versions and driver settings will be required.

Skuld ^_^

I have a high dollor geforce 128 meg gamer card no matter what driver i use the menus in Pro nc fall behind the main screen so i must always minimize main screen to retrieve the small pop up and flyout menus in Wildfire it got even worse so I am being forced to upgrade to a 3dlabs vp990 this card will be a huge improvment for Pro E

Mace

I have the vp 990 pro and its not as good as you would expect.

The support is dodgy (3dlabs is now owned by creative, the sound card people and they share the same support staff) and it has never lived up to the hype.

I have replaced it once and used many different drivers.

Id recommend trying one out first if possible.

Mike

Mace,

i have a vp880 pro and not happy with it. the first few day it was ok but then it started to show how crappy it is. nvidia is no. 1 choice.

So which nvidia should i be looking at if im not happy with the vp990 ?

The vp 990 was $660 that is my price range

nvidia fx 3000 is $1,730.19 not my range

The nvidia fx 2000 is made by many different makers of gamer cards but is actually pretty cheap!

I just upgraded (har har) to an Invidia GE force MX400 (64MB). Works great with Wildfire - haven't tried it with 2001 yet.. $50

On a related note....

Has anyone ever replaced a game card (GeForce 4200)

with a CAD card (Quadro4 XGL 750) in a newer Dell Inspiron 8500 or can point to someone who knows how? Performance with 2001 on the game card is great for the first 2-3 windows, then putzes. Can't find definitive answer that it even can be done. Thanks

We have had some excellent results with the Nvidia Ti cards. They have some very good drivers that seem to work well in mid-range cad machines. We are currently using Ti4600 cards and are very pleased with the results we are getting. I was told to stay away from the GeForce because they have a different set of drivers than the Ti cards. Several of the independent CAD shops in my locale are using the Ti cards with very good results. Hope this helps...

I switched from the Ti 4400 because it could not handle large assemblies and it didnt like zooming too much when you looking at surface connections.

The shaded image would move without the wireframe when panning. I tried all the drivers etc. but solved the problem (and found new problems) by switching to a 3dlabs card.

The 3dlabs work great with cad but not most other apps like java or web stuff.

For small files the ti series are acceptable.

Mike

Mace,

i would go with quadro4 xgl750. it's about $400 but only 128mb of ram. i'm thinking about getting the fx5950 256mb from EVGA oy PNY. THe driver that supports the card that make the different. the hardware alone can't do it. stay away from ati and 3dlabs (vp880 or vp990).

I changed over to Nvidia from ATI. The ATI 9700 would not handle Wildfire at all and did a marginal job with 2001. I had a couple of problems which was traced back to Windows 2000. I had to include win32_gdi in the config.pro file and the security upgrades along with service pac 4 from Microsoft caused a lock up from time to time. The latest upgrades for Nvidia from Microsoft fixed that issue. The Nvidia 980 on a Dell style machine works great now. Use the latest Nvidia driver from their website.

JP

Ok i got the 3dlabs vp990 it is going back What a piece of JUNK

My old geforce ti 128 megs of ram smokes this card

im ordering this card today fx5950 256mb FROM PNY

Newegg is tring to charge me a 15% restocking fee I told them if they do they will lose a custormer for life and i just spent $2500 with them in the last week can you believe that !!!!

MACE

Mace,

let us know how the fx5950 work out for you. i'm thinking about getting the same card soon. i'm using it for proe, solidworks, mastercam. 3dlabs is history for me. thank you.

Ok i got the pny fx5950 installed and WOW antialiasing at 8X and anisotropic at 8X and a resolution set at 1600x1200 32 bit color and not a hitch on my 22 inch multisync monitor I opened a 10 meg assm file and it dynamicly rotates with out jittering and is as fast as a 1 inch block in Proe this is the Card all my flyouts and popups in Pro are on top as they should be I am EXTREMLY happy even if New Egg does charge me restocking fee of $108. I made the right choice to send it back.

nguy_da

I also use MasterCam and UniGraphics,Vericut 5.3 And Catia But I think Proe is the hardest to please for Graphics

I Recommend this card to all That are thinking of a higher end card If you got the money or the company does buy the Proffesional series from PNY or if not go with the fx Gamer cards From PNY.

PNY cards are built for cad cam apps.

thanks all or put in opinions

Mace,

that's good to hear. that means if i have that card i can run proe on one monitor and the other running call of duty.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back