Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

IGES -> ProE features

dhm05

Hi I am trying to make an adapter for a pump mount. I have imported an iges of the engine.... it is a solid luck for me no healing needed..... how do I extract a bolt hole pattern or any sufrace for that matter it isnt allowing copying of the imported geometry..

I am using student 01 (is that part of the problem) as practice since my poor company can only afford one seat of proE an I have to be quick since there is a long line :)

thanks

dm

For your purposes, it sounds like you should be using Data Sharing features instead of importing IGES. With a Copy Geom feature you can copy all types of entities-- surfaces, edges, curves, vertices, coord systems, publish geom features, other copy geom features, etc.-- into a single feature in your new part. That will give you the reference geometry for creating solid features in the part. And the beauty is, it's parametric-- anytime you change the original model, and have it in memory and regenerate your part, it'll update. Later on if you decide you no longer want changes to propagate, you can toggle the dependency off.

David Martin

Torgon Industries

Ive made a little progress on my own by just clunking around... I found that you can create datum curves from the imported geometry... use composite curve.. also for axis it will take the cylinder sufaces of the bolt holes and will creat axis datums this will give you center lines.... also in sketcher you pick your datum plane and top for your refs when you get the placement window.. you can select the imported geometry so when you drawing you can use it and dimension to the imported geomerty so for a shaft you can dimension tagentially for your fit.. and the axis is you center point..

also you can use create surface and pick the iges surface the only porblem so far is I cant figure out how to break the ref to the iges and make it indep...

dm

I think your going to have to save the geometry you created as an IGES file and then import it back into ProE to make it independent. All the fancy copy geometry stuff isn't available with the foundation or foundation II package. I thought student edition was full featured though.

Why do you need to make it independent?

-Bernie-

I thought if they were independent I could make just the surfaces I wanted then delete out the orginal IGES...

but it is working well to just use the iges as refences when you get the refs box, during the start of sketcher.

thanks

dm

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back