Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STEP file

roshan

I have an assembly model built in Pro/E which has an assembly rotational pattern of blades around a disc.. When i export it as a STEP file the patterned blades disappear and only the driver blade part remains.

What options should i select to avoid this or what is the best way to export the assembly model?

While exporting into step make sure both solids and shells are selected.

also see results in igs export

I would use the shell option when sending a step file but uncheck the solids option (its selected by default when using shell)

This works for both surfs and solids.

If this doesnt work try copying the external surfaces of the solid portion, then put the solid on a layer, blank this layer then export.

Mike

Thank you for your replies but i feel i am going wrong somewhere.

I am trying to import the assembly model into ABAQUS 6.3 as a step file but it displays an error message saying it is not a valid STEP file.

According to the ABAQUS help they suggest keeping the option to solid .

I was able to export the file but when i open the file in Pro/e by selecting the STEP part option it shows only one blade with import feature in model tree and when i select the STEP import as assembly option it shows all the blades with all components in the model tree.

Exporting as an IGES file was successful but i guess STEP is better than IGES for analysis in ABAQUS.

on some software could be only the extension problem.

try stp or step.

anyway, the format of STEP export can be set on config.pro

step_export_format

*ap203_is (default in 3-D mode), ap214_cd (default in drawing mode), ap214_dis, ap203is, ccd_cla_gvp_ast

Used for setting output format when exporting to STEP.

ap202_is-Export the drawing using the AP202 IS STEP application protocol and conformance class.

ap214_cd-Export the drawing using the AP214 CD2 STEP application protocol and conformance class. This is the default in drawing mode.

ap214_dis-Export the drawing using the AP214 DIS STEP application protocol and conformance class. Validation properties are also translated.

ap203_is-Export 3-D models using the AP203_IS STEP application protocol and conformance class. This is the default in 3-D mode.

ccd_cla_gvp_ast-Exported file includes AP203 validation properties by default

!!!

step_appearance_layer_groups

*no, yes

no-Output of Appearances, Layers, and Groups is enabled for STEP standard AP214.

yes-Output of Appearances, Layers, and Groups is enabled for STEP standard AP203.

:) I hope it will help you

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back