Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E Resume

branch22

I am a machine designer currently learning Pro/E and I fill that

now is a time to update my resume with some Pro/E stuff. However, I don't quite understand how Pro/E could be used for machine design. Please give me some ideas of what I can put on my resume in connection with Pro/E.

Thank you in advance, branch

If you do not understand how Pro/E is used for machine design, you probably should not put it on your resume! I would put your actual experience with Pro/E, like basic modeling and detailing. If you bluff on your resume you will get called on it sooner or later. With experience as a machine desiger, and basic Pro/E skills you should be able to get into some pretty good jobs that are right up your alley. And someone will probably hire you and give you the training you need to do machine design on Pro/E.

Here is my story. I have 20+ years of experience as a Mechanical Design Engineer (machine design). Most of machines I ever designed were designed from scratch.

When you are staring at empty screen it is really hard to think about 3D modeling. The usual design flow is: small sketch (on a napkin) - machine layout - assembly drawings - detail drawings. Now I believe you can create solid models, put them together into assembly, etc. That is why I really don't understand how Pro/E could be used for the process I just described. Anyway I like your idea about putting basic modeling and detailing on my resume. That created another question - what is the purpose of having solid models for the parts? And by the way, nobody wants to hire me so far with or without Pro/E.

This may seem like heresy, but sketching, cartooning, conceptualization, scheming whatever you want to call it is still best done on the back of a napkin. There's still no better way to wrap your mind around a design.

Once you have a reasonably promising concept then's the time to start laying out 3D models.

3D models are used for:

kinematic/kinetic studies

thermal studies

mass property analysis

structural analysis

fit, form & function studies

visualization

CFD analysis

assembly/disassembly/accessability/maintainability studies

rapid prototyping/tooling

programming machine tools

animation

photorendering

parts catalogues

manual illustrations

brochures

manufacturing instructions

interference checks

thin-wall checks

last but not least creating detailed drawings

If it helps solid modelling is more comparable to mocking-up parts and assemblies - only a heck of a lot more powerful, faster and cheaper than physical mock-up.

How long have you been using Pro/E and how have managed to stay away from solid modeling for so long ?? This is a pretty basic question for someone with 20+ years.

Do you understand how a computer (or a calculator, or a slide rule) is useful for engineering calculations? Do you understand how CAD is useful for preparing engineering drawings?

Not trying to be rude, but seriously, if you can’t see how Pro/E would be used for machine design, and you can’t see the purpose of using solid models for the machine parts, then I can’t see how you could possibly claim to know enough about Pro/E to put it in your resume.

As dougr said, your “paper napkin” concept sketches may still be best done freehand on paper. But once you have a workable concept nutted out, you would certainly want to develop the engineering calculations, and ultimately produce the working design drawings, etc. Thirty years ago, you would have got out your slide rule, pencil and paper pad, done some design calculations, then gone to your design drafter to produce the drawings. A few years later, the calculator replaced the slide rule; then 2D CAD supplanted the drawing board. Toady, the state-of-the-art is 3D feature-based, parametric solid modelling, with integrated finite element stress analysis – i.e. Pro/E!

Have you actually used (or even seen) Pro/E in action? If not, you might like to try the free student edition download – available for US$150 from www.proestudent.com. If even that’s too much, check out the free download of Pro/Desktop Express from www.ptc.com. It’s just a beginner’s package compared to Pro/E, but at least it would let you start to discover the potential of these packages.

Whatever you described above are very useful when your company have standard line of products. I believe it is also useful for tool, mold and die design.

When your company designs and builds custom machinery manufacturing cycle is very short and you don't have a luxury of creating solid models for assembly study. There is also no time for thermal, fit, function and other studies that you mentioned. You have just enough time for some basic engineering calculations to size reducers, motors, cylinders, etc. In many cases you just rely on your experience and intuition. I've been using AutoCAD for almost 12 years and now I am learning Pro/E. I installed student version, I've already went through basic course and began working through advanced tutorial. I understand very well Pro/E potentials in general, I just don't know how to connect it with what I've done before in custom machinery design.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would not worry to much about how Pro/E relates to your work right now. Every company uses Pro/E differently, with their own methods and goals. Just learn as much as you can, and rely on your 20+ years experience to get you into and through a new job. Their will always be a learning curve, even if you had 10+ years on Pro/E as well.

Jobs are hard to come by these days. I am currently making 50% less than I was 2 years ago, and working far away from home just to get that. Your probably just going to have to settle like the rest of us until the economy picks up. Mention your Pro/E training on your resume, and search hard.

Customization is where solid modeling does best.

From your posting it sounds like you think customization means 100% different each time so involves starting from scratch each time - not so.

There's a lot of work in establishing your first set of models and drawings but once this is done you'll find you can start from a baseline each time instead of starting from scratch.

As your database grows the more models you'll have to choose from for a baseline.

A lot more work can be done upstream like fit and interference checks which can avoid significant reworking of parts - I'm sure you can see the advantages of that.

When you have models you can use for baselining the time savings can be astounding - imagine having a design 50%, 60%, 70% complete before you even start ??

Sounds like you're on the right track you just have to accept solid modeling is here and now.

Also, SolidWorks has a program for people to get up to speed on their software too:

http://www.solidworks.com/html/3dskills.cfm

Another example of SolidWorks superior marketing - having an already trained workforce is a heck of a way to influence companies to choose their software.

You do need to get solid modeling on your resume..

All machines in general have common assemblies or components (i.e. Frame, Actuators and so on). In designing these elements AAX could be useful (Layouts, Skeletons and Templates), also you always use standard parts both yours and comercial, these components help you in designing. There is a lot of work for standarizing in helping you to create customized machines.

20 years are a lot of experience and your knowledge could be catched in common practices for designing machinery, Pro/E is also useful for this.

FEA (GEA) Calculations could be done easily and quickly for improving your designs because you should know critical points and how to model them without building entire models.

Today is necesary to have virtual models (Quality) not just sketches. I believe with your experience you could even write standards for building Machinery.

Thank you all.

I am having an interview tomorrow. ProE was one of their requirements. Now at least I know what to say if they ask about ProE. Unfortunately experience comes along with the age.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back