Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Model Tree Freeze-Up

IdeaZonePD

Last year I switched to a new laptop which took me from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Wildfire 5.0 installed fine. The only difference I noticed was that dragging things in the model tree (features or the Insert arrow) was suddenly much slower. No biggie, I just sort of got used to wasting an extra 4-5 seconds.

Then this weekend I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (I know, big mistake - but let's not harp on that, there's no way to go back now). Now when I try to drag items in the Model Tree, the entire program (XTop) stops responding. If I wait long enough, it will eventually come back, but now instead of 4-5 seconds, it's more like 5-10 minutes.

This is killing my productivity. I've figured out a way to move the Insert arrow and I've assigned mapkeys. But I can't find a Re-Order command unless I turn on the Resolve Mode in Regeneration Manager (Hello? It's 1999 calling!). There's no way I'm going back to that!

Has anyone else had this Model Tree freeze issue? Would it help if I uninstall and reinstall ProE? Any help would be great. I'd even accept a tip on how to re-order features without using the Model Tree or the Resolve Mode.

Thanks.

Myles

Update: OK, I actually found the ReOrder command. It's under Edit -> Feature Operations. I'm not really excited to go back to the right-side menu style, but I guess it will work for now. But I'm desperate to find a better solution for the Model Tree freezing.

Last edited:
Not what you want to hear but PTC says Windoze 8.1 is not a supported OS. Don't know if that is because it's truly incompatible or just that they have not gotten around to testing it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back