Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solidworks or UG/NX or...?

Boonee

Here's the situation:
I'm joining a startup (in the consumer electronics field) as THE mechanical
guy and have the opportunity to pick any CAD package. I'm a proficient
user of UG/NX (on it for 10 years from v15 to NX6). During that time I've
been using UG exclusively so I don't have experience on other CAD
packages. I'm used to modeling without sketches and I like the
parametric and non-paremtric aspects of UG.

Here are my concerns-
- UG is expensive. Our startup is funded, but I don't want to blow too
much on software.
- There are fewer UG users than SWX users so it may be more difficult to
find skilled people when we expand.
- UG is complex and takes maintenance. In my experience we had an
MCAD team to support the environment and all the users. I won't have
that resource in the startup and I don't want to be left high and dry when
something goes wrong.
- If I switch packages, my productivity will probably go down the tubes
for a while. Since I'll be the only mechanical guy for a while I don't want
to slow down the whole company. We need to move fast.

Solidworks looks to have quite a few interesting features with it's
interaction of assemblies and product validation modules. Has it come far
enough that I could switch over and be comfortable, or am I going to have
to learn a new way to build models? Can it function non-parametrically?

I hate PLM and data management software and have no plans to use it.
We're small and the products aren't that complex anyway. We shouldn't
need data management for years.

I would love to here your thoughts on what is the right package (even if
it's something other than UG/NX or SWX). I'd especially like to hear from
anyone who has tried making the switch from UG to SWX. Thanks in
advance.

If you know of a more up to date thread I'd be happy to go read it.

You might wanna get a fresh cup of coffee cause I'm going to say a lot.
smiley4.gif

I would say you'd be safe with using SolidWorks. In answer to your question solidworks does not truly have a Parameter free mode like NX's Synchronous technology.UG is quite expensive and I haven't used it in a while but from what I remember it has a pretty strong sketcher since NX2 and the Combo CSYS Axis and Planes as a single feature still beats out ProE and Catia's Datum Schemes.

One thing you'll likely miss if you've used it on UG is Layers. Layers on SolidWorks really only exist on Drawings and there is no way to use them in Modeling so don't even try. It does have a powerful dynamic Toolbar called the Shortcut bar that can be customized to show icons based on your current mode. Sketch, Part, Assembly Drawing. A lot of functionality you pay a lot more for on UG is available in the middle version of the Software including SolidWorks explorer a mini PDM like tool that can interpret and interrogate external relationships and rename files and maintain related files.

The price of SolidWorks is great for the power it has and it is an application that is developed to suit requests of its customers. SolidWorks sketcher is still more powerful and easier to use than Pro/Engineer and like Unigraphics it will show you constraints available between selected entities as you make picks. While on Pro/E you need to select the constraint to apply first. On SolidWorks you can take an arc and turn it into a circle by Draging the endpoints until they form a closed loop. Dimensions can also be toggled between orientations and Center or Tangent points as you dimension. Another powerful capability is the way dimensions references can be changed by dragging the endpoints of a leader to another entity. For finding entities of sketches or features and components you can use a tree filter and type in slot and it will filter features and sketches for ones with Slot in the title or description. Although this can and should be made more powerful it is nowhere near Pro/E and UG's selection tool which allows you to pick items by color name or other parameters.

The 2010 release added capabilities for mouse gestures which let you assign commands to be run when Holding the Right Click and dragging your mouse in a direction. The pattern tools are also quite powerful but lists as a single feature so individual items cannot be suppressed from the Feature Tree. There is a Feature library where you can save data for common features like rectangular blocks or cylinders similar to the Sphere Cylinder and block features on UG. There are commands for moving faces similar to Synchronous technology except that it will add another feature to what might already be a complex feature tree.

My advice to you would be to check out one of the 3DSkills workshops offered by the Value Added Reseller support teams. They are mainly set up to sell more seats so they'll definitely give you some good attention especially if your company is interested in the product. You will be given a ~30day trial version of the SolidWorks Premium software which has all the bells and whistles including the SolidWorks Simulation package formerly known as COSMOS which can do Solid and Assembly Analysis. Another thing to check out would be the 3d sketch feature which is one of the greatest features of the software.

If your company is interested I could come on site and help you get up to speed with the software for cheaper than what the training companies charge. I have a CertifiedSolidWorksInstructor certification and have helped UG users working for companies that now use SolidWorks. The SolidWorks training materials are very basic for the cost and just only brushes the surface of the functionality much like a Magic Show.

Unlike Unigraphics the majority of SolidWorks settings and Customization data is located in the Registry so any users will need to have power user axes to the SolidWorks locations in the registry not a huge Environment.dat file. This data can be exported and imorted with the CopySettingsWizard in the Start Menu Program Group.
sw08_ui_improvements.jpg

<< The Picture Above shows the changes made in 2008 to the software Now things like Instant3d are available in assembly and can help speed along changes>>

Last Edit (Any further edits to this post will appear below this message)

Michael

I may add some other details pictures to my previous post with images of shortcut bar and Gestures Wheel. Another package you may want to consider would be UG's little brother SolidEdge which shares the ability to use Synchronous Technology but isn't quite as powerful from a surfacing or complex modeling standpoint.

Michael

Michael,
Thanks for all the info. I do use layers a lot, as well as blanking and reverse
blanking. It sounds like visiting the value added resellers would be the best
thing to do. A 30 day trial would be a great way to see how quickly I could
adapt to the software. Do you know if UG resellers also offer trials? I'll just
have to get in touch with them and setup a meeting.

If I do decide to make the transition, I'll definitely consider you for training.
We're based in the SF bay area. What part of the country are you in?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back