Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem with Edge Flange

vip_shadow

I'm trying to add an Edge Flange wider than the Base Flange in Solidworks 2010.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">I'm not sure if it's the correct way, but this is what I 've done:<BR itxtvisited="1">1- I Created a Sheet metal part<BR itxtvisited="1">2- Then I Added a Base Flange (a 100 X 50 rectangle)<BR itxtvisited="1">3- Then By clicking the Edge Flange button from toolbar and clicking the edge of the Base Flange, added an Edge Flange. In Edge-Flange Feature manager Clicked "Edit Flange Profile" button and dragged the flange and made it longer than the base flange. <BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">At this step I receive the following Error:<BR itxtvisited="1">------------------------------------------------<BR itxtvisited="1">Unable to create the flange from the sketch<BR itxtvisited="1">------------------------------------------------<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">If I drag the flange and make it the same length as the Base Flange or shorter, It works fine. But if it's longer, I receive this error.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Here is a screen capture. http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5115/solidworks.jpg

<BR itxtvisited="1">Any kind of help is much appreciated.

You cannot make the edge flange longer than the base flange by extending the flange profile sketch beyond the edge of the base flange. Instead, the base flange will need to be cut-away.

I have attached an image of a method that could be used to create this part. After creating the edge flange, unfold the part and cut-away the excess material on the base flange, than fold the part.

2010-08-30_123410_SolidWorks_base-flange_cut_JPEG.zip

Unfortunately, I've been using other cad programs and am not too familiar with solidworks.

If the part was a L shape sheet metal part, what you explained above would be just fine. But I can't find a way to do what you suggested above in my part.

Here's an image of the part I'm working on.

Code:
http://a.imageshack.us/img52/6842/testrvy.jpg

The A flange should be 10mm longer. (without affecting B Auto-Relief)

Here's a simplified version of this part.

I would appreciate if you explain how can I do this.
Code:
http://habib.is-a-geek.net/lord/As1.zip

Million thanks for your help.

It seems that I've not been clear enough.

In your latest posted part, the width of Base-Flange1 is wider than Edge-Flange3.

I'm looking for a way to make the same part, but while the width of Edge-Flange3 is wider than Base-Flange1.

To be more clear, I'm trying to start from a Base-Flange and end up to a wider Edge-Flange.

In my part posted above, the width of Edge-flange16 and Edge-Flange15 must be 20mm longer than Edge-Flange14 and Edge-flange11(10mm on each end : 128.4mm and 958.4mm respectively)

Million thanks

I think solidworks works doesnt gives that option..
we can reach to the desired part the other way around as
shown by Mihail.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back