Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bend a sheet over vertical (>90 degrees)

gnusselt

Imagine a piece of metal sheet, 5 x 2 inches.
Suppose I want to bend it but not in a vertical direction (red line in the image below) but in a line that's 120 degrees from the horizontal surface of the sheet (black line in the image below).
If I bend it through the red line all the way down it will look like a big 'I', if you see it from the top. But I want to bend it all the way down through the black line, so the sheet metal will look something like a big 'V'. Get the picture?

1) Using SKETCH BEND tool:
Sketch a line as you need (120 degrees)

2) Using EDGE FLANGE tool:
First, define Base-Flange as you need (with one corner at 120 degrees) then
use EDGE FLANGE tool as usualy.

Good luck !

Thank you for your answer. All it is needed is to think smart! :)
On a second thought I could just weld the two sheets. ;)
Anyway, in a similar problem I've got one big sheet that when it's bended it works like two blades that air passes through them. It's not a simple sketch. One blade is a mirror to another but the bend line (red line) is not the mirror line. If it was I could just weld the two pieces. How can I produce this bend? Could I create the two pieces separately and then weld them together? At the end the part will look like a 'V'.

I don't understand Mihail's first solution.

" Using SKETCH BEND tool: Sketch a line as you need (120 degrees) "

I create a rectangular. Then i sketch the bending line but when i try to "extrude" to make it a sheet metal the program doesn't accept that. When I delete that line the program creates a flat sheet metal. But then I can't apply the bending line to the sheet metal surface in order to bend it over that line.
Something I am doing wrong, i know. I just don't know what. Any help please?

Edited by: gnusselt

FIRST create the metal sheet part using BASE FLANGE tool from MetalSheet toolbar.
AFTER you have the sheet, select a face and apply SKETCH BEND tool.
SW will enter in sketch mode. NOW sketch a line (the bending line) and exit the sketch.
SW ask you again to select a fixed face. Do that and click ok.

Hope I remember exactly all steps because I have not SW instaled heare.
Any way, I am sure that you must create the sheet FIRST. AFTER that you can use SKETCH BEND tool.

Learn more about the tool from SW help files.

Good luck !

Edited by: Mihail

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back