Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Accessing same workspaces on multiple machines....?

ericd

I have a question on running Intralink on two separate machines. I'd like to use a firewire drive to share a set of workspaces between an XP laptop and a Win 2K Pro machine.

So far I'm not having much luck. The .proi was created on the XP machine. I can create workspaces just fine on both machines, and each machine will read work that the other has done, but every so often I get a error on the 2K machine that a file is unable to be retreived. Once I get the error, the object (part or assy) is history.

Has anyone ever done this with any success? Is it because the two machines are not running the same OS?

Thanks,

Eric

Not quite sure why you'd want to do it this way rather than just check in to commonspace and then checkout to the client on the laptop....

Just copying the entire .proi directory from one machine to the other should do the trick though. Don't let intralink create the .proi or Local.ddb

I've done this when configuring new workstations and everything has worked perfectly. Only done it on NT4.0 and Win2K though. Don't know what OS your laptop has got.

Neil

The reason I'm running this way is I work part of the week at the office and part of the week from home. I currently carry the laptop back and forth. The machine I have at home is a dual Xeon 2.8 Dell with a wildcat video card. My laptop is a P4 1.8. Needless to say, Pro runs a tad better on the workstation, and it kills me to work on a slow laptop with my workstation sitting idle.

When working at home, I access the data server with a VPN connection with both the laptop or workstation. For the assemblies I work on, I would loose about 2 hours each morning and afternoon if I had to check in/out everyday. That's where the firewire comes in. Instead of lugging the laptop back and forth, I thought it would be easier to transport the firewire case. My plan is to leave the laptop at work, and eventually convince the powers to be to buy me a better system for the office. :)

The laptop OS is XP. Workstation OS is Win 2K Pro. I did not let Intralink create the .proi & local.ddb, they were created on the laptop, and copied over to the firewire drive.

I have also successfully copied .proi's between machines, but they were always matching OS (NT to NT). That's why I was thinking that the OS difference might be the issue.

Eric

I'm not entirely sure that XP is supported for Intralink (yet). Correct me if I'm wrong though. =) So, like you say, maybe that is the source of your problem.

Which version of Intralink is it?

I've done dataserver, fileserver and client installations on NT, Win2k and Solaris... all went without a problem. But one time when I tried to do an install on XP, nothing would work.

I'm not sure about the newer Intralink. We're running an old version currenly (Not sure of the build, but it's version 2.something).

I can say with about 99.5% certainty that XP works fine with the older versions. That's all we run it on. I'm sure we'll find out about the new versions once we get all of our software up to date. It's going to really nite if we have to take all of our machines down to 2000 before the install works. :( Guess that's what IT people are for...

Do you think there would be any issue with having the .proi on a removable drive? I can't see why there would be. It's just another local drive like the rest.

The really strange part is that I've been doing more testing, and it seems that things go south when I add parts that contain family tables. Once a family table instance is added to an assembly and saved, the assembly will not re-open. It's not exclusive to family table parts though - Sometimes plain old parts become un-openable.

Eric

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back