Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Data Management Tools

steve107

My company uses SolidWorksforCAD. We are looking for a basic but robust and easy to use PDM to manage our SolidWorks files (and possibly other design data - Word,Excel,andPCB designfiles).

What PDM products suitedfor SolidWorks (and other files)does the community recommend?

I have evaluated PDM WorkGroup and was not impressed. It is the right scale in terms of cost and intended data management capability - data security(via vault), revision control, relatively easy to use. However, its file uploadingwasbuggy, the file structure not intuitive, and itssearch capability poor.

I have witnessed a demo of Enterprise PDM and was impressed. However, I think it might provide more capability than we need in terms of work flow and its cost is not insignificant.

I have used Smart Team for Catia at another company. And while our team eventually learned how to use the program, it was adifficult learning curve. Smart Team certainlyoffers more PDM capability (and hence is more costly)than what we need and are willing to pay for.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back