Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solidworks to CNC End Mill

Casdesign

Does anyone has any suggestions on the simplest way to go from Solidworks to a CNC machine? I know that the simple answer is Camworks - but we're starting from the ground up here.
All that we currently have is Solidworks. No mill. No CNC. We are an assembly plant that is looking for start running a simple end mill for one off's, jigs, prototypes, etc. Cost is obviously the big factor.

Where is the most logical starting point. Is there anyone that offers an entire package already set up?

We appreciate great equipment, but we're not necessarily looking for the "best name in the business" - we're looking for the company with dead simple, rock solid equipment that is going to work with us to give us exactly what we need and nothing more.

Any suggestions?

I would strongly recommend HSMWorks over Camworks. I've owned both.

This is for both the quality of the product and the quality of support you receive.

This is even more true if you are new to CAM and machining.

Casdesign said:
Does anyone has any suggestions on the simplest way to go from Solidworks to a CNC machine? I know that the simple answer is Camworks - but we're starting from the ground up here.
All that we currently have is Solidworks. No mill. No CNC. We are an assembly plant that is looking for start running a simple end mill for one off's, jigs, prototypes, etc. Cost is obviously the big factor.

Where is the most logical starting point. Is there anyone that offers an entire package already set up?

We appreciate great equipment, but we're not necessarily looking for the "best name in the business" - we're looking for the company with dead simple, rock solid equipment that is going to work with us to give us exactly what we need and nothing more.

Any suggestions?

Hi Casdesign. I use a system that starts with SolidWorks, exports the SolidWorks model directly to a CAM called SprutCAM, which is very 'user-friendly', then post-processes to either a ShopBot or a Microkinetics Express Mill.

SprutCAM was my first 'professional' (i.e more expensive but more powerful) CAM system, and the truth is I've been very happy with it. It integrates closely with SolidWorks - it's a CAM partner product that is little known but very good.

But I must warn you in general that even'the simplest solution' isnot simple unless you have the knowledge to use it. If G-code and CNC programming is new to you then even though you can buya CAM system and a machine in a matter of weeks it will be a matter ofmonths before you'll be doing 'one off's, jigs, prototypes, etc.' more efficiently than sub-contracting it out.

Sub-contracting may cost good money you'd rather keep in-house, but until you've been through the CAM part programming/G-code understanding reading and writing/post-processor tweaking/machine capabilities learning/part set-up/machining best practices etc. learning curves, you'll more than pay in unpaid hours dedicated to becoming efficient at the whole process.

Apart from that, I'd say people could give a better answer as regards which type of machine if you mentioned more about the size/material etc. of the work you'd like to be ableto do.

Hopefully this is helpful, Chris Booth

I personally would recommend MasterCam. In my opinion, there's nothing better.

Model in Solidworks, import straight into MasterCam, do your toolpaths, export right into Vericut to verify your program. Sleep good that night, only if everytihng was that easy.

Joey
Edited by: JoeyLS319

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back