Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copying and renaming old project

aeroegnr

All,

At my company, one of the tasks I have is creating a newer version of an old product. The idea is to spend as little time as possible on the models and drawings as they will mostly be the same parts and drawings as were on a previous version, with minor changes.

The company currently uses a shared folder with a folder/document hierarchy to control drawing documents. There is no PDM software currently being used. The duplicate parts and drawings for the new project will all need to be renamed with their references intact. How well can PDM handle this situation? It seems the only alternative is doing a copy of the existing directories, renaming the files, and resolving the linking issues. It seems like either way, because PDM wasn't used to begin with, that I will need to be resolving linking issues when I create these duplicate parts with incremented numbers whether or not I use PDM software.

I have used PDM in SolidWorks before, and remember when renaming files in PDM there could be some issues with assemblies not always updating properly without opening the individual subassemblies and files. However, this entire project will be entirely new to the PDM system/vault if this is the route we choose to go.

Also, all of this will be done in 2009 version software.

Aeroegnr.

PDMWorks is the way to go. I've had to do what you are doing several time throughout the years. PDMWorks makes it so much easier. I loaded it onto a single machine, loaded the entire project into it, (offline, nothing life), renamed files, etc. When I was completed, I created a new directory outside of PDMWorks and checked out the project. all updated fresh new... easy.

w/out PDMWorks...

Have you installed Solidworks Explorer? If not, read up on it, install it. I believe it can help you in your new project. Use it like an external pdm, where used, etc. not quite as clean.

good luck...
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back