Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can I rename a file instead of SaveAs?

jabster

I have an assembly, and I'd like to rename some components. I've been using temporary file names, and now want to rename them to actual part numbers.

ProE has the overly convenient Rename function for just this situation. Is there anything similar in SW?

Running 2009/SP2.1.

It getting annoying having to keep going SaveAs, then opening up explorer and deleting the old files.

thx,
john

John,

The best way to rename files is by using the SolidWorks explorer tool. You should never rename files in windows because even if it is possible to re associate them later SolidWorks explorer knows all the interpart relationships and can update them for you.

A quick method to get to the rename function of SolidWorks explorer is to Right Click the File you want to rename in Windows explorer and look for the SolidWorks|> flyout this has 3 options Pack&Go, Rename and Replace. If you choose rename SolidWorks explorer looks for all the files that reference a part or assembly and will update the links that are checked in the list it shows you.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

i tried using SWEx (for the first time in over 3 years) and do not care for it AT ALL. Seems really klunky. There's not even a filter bar for filtering the file list. Ugh.

RMB->SW way is much better.

Tho I do have to have SW closed it appears for it to work properly.

I still like the ProE way better (in line, from within a proe session), but oh well.

Thanks,
john

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back