Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

wind load analysis

alfordtp

I have what seems to be a pretty straightforward analysis, but I am not getting the results that I was guessing I was going to get.

Software is SolidWorks CosmosWorks 2008

I am designing a bracket that will hold a box down to the ground when there is a strong 100+mph wind pushing normal to one side.

Think about a cube that sits inside (and fastened into) a basepan then the basepan is fastened into the ground.

There will be four brackets (one on each side of the basepan). The shape of the brackets are a modified "L" bracket. the short leg will be anchored into the ground with a bolt. The long leg will extend up the side of the base of the unit. The modified part of the bracket is on the top of the long side. After it goes up the side of the unit (only about 4 inches), it has a hem bend that hooks around the edge and goes back down about 1 inch.

I am having problems with the contact groups and simulating the force. If anyone has a good way to simulate this, I would appreciate a little help. I can send files to show what I have set up now. These 4 brackets have to hold a 150lb unit from moving in 100+mph winds.

thank you in advance.

tim

I would just do a simple external flow calculation to determine what type of load is created on the face of the block (think of what generalized shape the wind is acting on). Then just set up a simulation with those loads applied in the corresponding areas with a basis static analysis. I doubt fatigue will be of any major concern. Hope that helps

I have a friend who must be the sweetest, shyest person in the world. His name is brittle and ancient (Luke), his age modestly intermediate (forty). He is rather short and skinny, has a thin moustache and even thinner hair on his head. Since his vision is not perfect, he wears glasses: they are small, round and frame-less.

In order not to inconvenience anyone, he always walks sideways. Instead of saying 'Excuse me', he prefers to glide by one side. If the gap is so narrow that it will not allow him to pass, Luke waits patiently until the obstruction -- be it animate or inanimate, rational or irrational -- moves by itself. Stray dogs and cats panic him, and in order to avoid them he constantly crosses from one side to of the road to another.
wow gold
He speaks with a very thin, subtle voice, so inaudible that it is hard to tell if he is speaking at all. He has never interrupted anybody. On the other hand, he can never manage more than two words without somebody interrupting him. This does not seem to irritate him; in fact, he actually appears happy to have been able to utter those two words.
My friend Luke has been married for years. His wife is a thin, choleric, nervous woman who, as well as having an unbearably shrill voice, strong lungs, a finely drawn nose and a viperous tongue suffers from an uncontrollable temper and the personality of a lion tamer. Luke -- you have to wonder how -- has succeeded in producing a child named (by his mother) Juan Manuel. He is tall, blond, intelligent, distrustful, sarcastic and has a fringe. It is not entirely true that he only obeys his mother. However, the two of them have always agreed that Luke has little to offer the world and therefore choose to ignore his scarce and rarely expressed opinions.
wotlk gold
Luke is the oldest and the least important employee of a dismal company that imports cloth. It operates out of a very dark building with black-stained wooden floors situated in Alsina street. The owner -- I know him personally -- is called don Aquer

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back