Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Create seperate regions on Cylinder

dreinert

Hi,

I would like to create seperate regions on a bolt. I want to constrain the lower and upper 1/4" of the bolt and apply a load to the center 1" of it. This is essence will create a shear force acting on the bolt.

I know I can create slit lines on flat surfaces but I don't know how to on cylinders.

Thanks for any help.

dreinert

dreinert,

You can use the Split Curve command on the Curves Menu under insert or using the Curves flyout split curve option on the Features toolbar.

Split curve gives you 3 options
Silhouette, Projection & Intersection

If You create a sketch and use Convert Entities to project the length of the bolt cylinder into your sketch, you can then Split the curve 3 times with split entities once at the line midpoint and then twice more at the created lines midpoints to get 4 segments and apply equal length relation between the curves. Make these reference curves into construction geometry. Then create a slot shape by drawing two lines across from 1/4 length lines and connect with tangent arcs. Finish sketch and then select the Split Line icon with Projected option and select the bolt cylinder face to split.

split-bolt%20surface.jpg

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back