Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modelling a Rubber band

helloworld922

Hi, I want to model a rubber band (the thick kind that you get when you buy asparagus). How would I do it so that I could stretch/twist the rubber band?

You could model it so that it would stretch use configurations or design tables. It would be easy enough to do.

As for the twisting. Using a sweep feature would be needed. In ProE, you can model a rubbber band and there is a twist feature but don't think there is the same thing in SW......people, correct me if I'm wrong.

You would need to create a sweep feature with "twist along path" parameters. Use a design table to stretch to different configurations. There are many useful controls in design tables.

if you want the rubber band to wrap around other parts (for example, a bunch of asparagus) make sure to insert the empty rubberband model into the assembly, then use external refernces when creating the actual rubber band geometry.

If done correctly, you could get the band to twist automatically depending on how the other parts are oriented in the assembly.

Another feature for "flexing" an elastomeric (rubber) part is the deform feature (option: curve to curve). I just discovered this feature recently, and the flex feature does not provide the option to flex around a target curve, so the flex feature can be a challenge to control accurately.

The deform feature (curve to curve) allows a part to be bent along a spine (curve). It is similar to Pro-E's spinal bend, and require an initial & target curve. Try the deform feature and let us know if it works for your situation.

Here is a post in the SolidWorks forum comparing deform to flex: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/71444#71444

Chris

To Create a Spinal Bend (Pro-E)

The Spinal
Bend option bends a solid or quilt about a curved spine by
continuously repositioning cross-sections along a curve. Planar cross-sections
perpendicular to an axis are repositioned perpendicular to the trajectory with
no distortion. All compression or distortion is done longitudinally along the
trajectory.

Click Feature > Create > Solid > Tweak > Spinal
Bend, or Insert
> Advanced > Spinal Bend.

Deform - Curve to Curve (SW)